Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great- thanks- looks like good stuff.

I was going to say "that was fast"- but then I realized that those pics are not a Gen III Coupe.

Any idea why the IRS differential mounts point down towards the front of the car (at least mine do)? I found this to be the main source of frustration getting all 4 bolts in. Perhaps this is some pre-load/tension function.

I'm a couple of months behind you but watching your build intently.

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm about to install my front upper A-arms.

I noticed that John George's build has them placed on top of the frame mounts with spacers in-between.

I've not seen the mounting clearly spelled out in the manual.

Any ideas? Seems the way you did it with the pivot arm sandwiched in-between the frame tabs makes better sense.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Perhaps John did it that way to correct for or modify his bump steer. I might goof with my geometry too, but for now am just setting it up factory spec.

Here's a picture from my factory visit a few weeks ago how the are doing it at FFR

(Notice on the John George build they also shortened the steering arm coming off the spindle a bit to speed up the turning ratio off the steering rack. That Car has very fast steering response when you twitch the wheel. If you watch the VIR cockpit videos you can see how amplified the steering is)

·
Registered
132 Posts
John may be running the car lower as well and wanting a different camber curve.

Great picture- this will help me a lot. I should fly out there and make my own manual.

Still, any impression about the sloping IRS mounts?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
From Jim at Factory 5
(Installer of the first and for now only A52xs coyote motor) about any pitfalls of installing an Aviaid dry sump system on the Ford 5.2

No issues specific to the 5.2, it is a fairly involved process because the
timing chain and oil pump have to be removed but all those parts were the
same on the 5.2 as the 5.0. There were 2 options as far as the old oil
pump goes because it is also used as a spacer to mount the timing chain
tensioner, we removed it entirely and cut a spacer the same depth to go on
the lower mount, but the other option is to gut the internals of the pump
and install the empty housing. The second option might give better piece
of mind since it locates the tensioner exactly the same as the factory
without any measuring or cutting. The only other gotcha is that there are
2 different oiling manifolds for where the old oil filter locator mounted
and the 5.2 needs the newer style (2015+). Aviad should ask you which you
need when you order but if you already have it I would look on the order
to confirm.
End quote

I plan to gut the pump and use it as the tensioner spacer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Rear wing mount coming along.

Also I put the brake masters in both opposite and with incorrect hardware. (I just got the manual so am catching some errors)

Heat shielding will go in this weekend as well as clutch master and some more hard lines.

Fun.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Fuel cell mounting bracket fabrication has begun. Fuel safe no longer makes a bracket that fits and needless to say the "factory (five)" straps don't work. So... welding!

(I'll post pictures once I have it working.)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
On the wing mount, are you going to bolt a bracket to this and then mount the wing to it externally?
Or is this part going to protrude through the body?
X2 on the welding skills

John

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I wish I could claim credit for that weld. My buddy is stitching up the welds for me.

The bracket will hold a removable wing mounting bracket that can act at a rear bumper mount (well bumper is probably overstating it a bit... just a bar to keep followers from getting up into my rear glass.

It will look like this with the bracket holding the "through body" mounts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
You are a fine welder.

Did you also cut-down the master-cylinder shaft lengths according to the manual?

Dave

As I just got the manual a few days ago... no not yet. I am however going over my entire progress so far and bouncing it off the manual. I'll take a look to see what you are talking about.

I'm using a full willwood pedal box which I thought was pretty much plug and play.

I am just starting to redo my master cylinders with the 90 degree fittings (which were included) to join the hard lines. (The hard lines went in badly due to incorrect threads so I'm in process pulling apart and reassembling this weekend in accordance with the manual. DOH) it seemed fishy how difficult it was to get a good fit with just the hard lines when I first put them in. Now I know why.

I will probably need to either completely replace my hard lines or cut then re flange the ends with new brass connections. My lines are now just a bit too long with the 90s in.

Live and learn.

I sure am glad I rivnutted the brake access panel as I keep going back in there to do it all again and again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Cut down clutch MC length and swapped brakes to correct sides also installed hardware, re flared and re hardwared my mangled lines (that was not so fun)

Fuel cell mounting brackets are welded up and in as well as my hand made diff breather

The rear wing bracket is installed and all the hardware for the wing is off to powdercoating

Next up heat shields around foot boxes and touch up painting all the new steel around fuel cell. Once the paint is dry I'll reinstall all my rubber stripping around the tank and button up the hatch with rivnuts. (I'm going with rivnuts on the aft hatch panel to make cell maintenance and fuel pump/filter upkeep a bit easier)

Plenty to keep me busy this weekend while the wife is out of town, but it feels like pretty good progress this week.

I'm told my 5.2 motor is delivering by end of this coming week, so I'm trying to get the chassis ready start fitting up a power plant before it gets here. Luckily I have a few days off still before it arrives and once it does I have a motor shop mounting up my power steering pump and dry sump pump so I still have about 10 days to get ready.

I'll probably hold off on installing my brake and clutch reservoirs until I see how the motor fits in the bay. I also have to find a new spot for the battery.

81 - 100 of 414 Posts