Factory Five Racing Forum banner

381 - 400 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Car looks really great! You did a great job, and I am completely jealous!

I don't remember you posting that you got your plates, yet I see one hiding behind the windshield; well done.

And, that's a fine looking Z you have sitting there keeping the coupe company. You need to tell us a bit more about hat ride...

Congratulations again on wrapping up a beautiful build. I look forward to hearing how she does on the track. Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Car looks really great! You did a great job, and I am completely jealous!

I don't remember you posting that you got your plates, yet I see one hiding behind the windshield; well done.

And, that's a fine looking Z you have sitting there keeping the coupe company. You need to tell us a bit more about hat ride...

Congratulations again on wrapping up a beautiful build. I look forward to hearing how she does on the track. Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

My buddys Greg and Bill have been restoring and restomodding a pair of 240s. They are about finished.

I’m just starting one!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
I’m calling this build complete!!!!!!!

So this is now a “What did surfdog do with his Gen 3 track day toy today” thread.

I’m happy to answer any build advice or why the heck did you redesign this or that type questions but from here on out it will mostly be maintenance and track day report and car show stuff. (Though this is not really a show car at all...)

So... Cheers!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Today’s project. Upgrade my “shipped with pads” to full track compound for my track day on the 27th.

Also I’ll be bleeding in better fluid. (Castro’s SRF).

Along with my untried brake ducts and pads I have high expectations of my revised brake setup!!!

I will be running in street trim to get car balance the way I like it before running all my race aero. (I anticipate I’ll need stiffer spring rates once I add on all that downforce, but I want to start with good “no-aero” balance before I start tuning the big wing and splitter.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #386 (Edited)
Let’s see if these make a difference. I think they will.

As a reminder here are those pads that have been sitting on the shelf since fall that are goin in today.

I will make a slight caliper shim adjustment while I’m in there to fix a slight pad misalignment leftover from initial shake down that I never got around to tweaking.

Edit: these pads ended up being about an 1/8 inch too thick to fit! bummer. On the plus side, I've narrowed my braking issues to knock-back vice pads as the culprit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Added nitro bottle to trailer for tires and air jacks. (Unfortunately I have to use two different regulators for those tasks... I need to rig up a quick disconnect hi pressure fitting to my tire inflation stuff so I can just dial down the regulator to do tire inflation

·
Registered
525 Posts
I want to apologize for the delay in my thanks for posting all the details of those amazing Z's!!

You and your friends have built stunningly beautiful cars. They are so nice, I would be afraid to drive them! Congratulations on your extraordinary work!!

And, a sincere apology for waiting so long to thank you for the details!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #390 (Edited)

I lowered the nose a hair and raised the rear shortly after this picture.

I’m going to try floating rotors for the knockback and pull out power steering

I think the power steering is too light (overpowered) still even with min flow set on the pump, so I’m pulling it out and reinstalling the manual rack.

Manual steering is probably going to be just right for racing but a hair heavy for streeting.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
With a little nudge from the John George crew, I have settled on the solution to my brake issues being a full set of front and rear floating rotors. So, off will come my wilwood hats and rotors and on go stoptech as used on John George’s awesome racer.

Something like this:

Ordering of the parts has begun. Stay tuned for results and maybe a few install notes.

·
Logan
620 Posts
......WOW.

What a build thread!! Like a book I couldn't stop reading until I finished!! I have many questions, but the first is....what wheels and tires are you running? Not often you hear the phrase "Too much front grip". Specs please, if you're able to provide... I'm trying to figure out fitment for the Gen 3 Coupe-R chassis. I know you have several sets of wheels and tires, so the specs for the biggest/widest ones would be the target here since anything smaller will obviously fit as well or better. Something like this:

Wheel diameter (front) =
Wheel width (front) =
Wheel offset (front) =
Wheel spacer thickness (front) =
Tire size (front) =

Wheel diameter (rear) =
Wheel width (rear) =
Wheel offset (rear) =
Wheel spacer thickness (rear) =
Tire size (rear) =

Also, keep us posted on how the floating rotors work out. I assume you're sticking with the Wilwood calipers (for now) and just doing the rotor upgrade?

Thanks for creating and maintaining this build thread, it is flat out amazing what you've got here...VERY impressive

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Thanks for the positive feedback!!

I basically run two setups on wheels.

For shows and fooling around the hills, Factory five replica wheels with spacers (1/2 inch in front to get over my bigger front rotor and 2 inch in back for proper appearance mostly).

Toyo r888r 275 front 315 x18 rear.

My rear race wheels are Advan RSDF 18X11+15. I think I posted the rear rims above in earlier post with part numbers.

The fronts are my old 370Z square fit advan 18s running 275 width. I believe they are 15 mm offset but don’t actually remember (they rubbed when I ran them in the back as a test) I think they are Advan RSDF 18x10+15. I’ll check.

No spacers required up front but inner fender lip trimming is needed at a 3 inch ride hight (see post above) the Advan “spokes“ arch around the calipers unlike the halibrands which are flat and rub the caliper without a small spacer.

275 front, 315 rear. Also running Toyo r888r which have shown amazing durability on hard track use so far. Also at size 18x315, choices are limited. These are great for street and track so far.

Switching to floating rotors should not change my fitment.

If your just tracking the 12.88 big brake kit might be good as willwood makes a floating hat for that rig. (Is recommend buying from willwood to prevent biting the hats twice (floating and non floating as on the FFR Kit).

You can actually get the 12.88 parts from willwood by selecting factory five Gen 3 coupe on the willwood drop down menus!!!

I upgraded the from rotors to 14x1.25 which are huge for enduro. Maybe overkill for shorter races.

The guys at factory five rolled their eyes a bit when I told them I was going bigger up front. Remember the car is pretty light and admit I might be a bit over-braked. Given that I’m going to have to have custom floating hats fabbed up to fit the front, it is definitely going to be a pricey upgrade from the plug and play willwood solution. Also the thicker calipers up front necessitate a small spacer (1/4 inch would work in my case on the halibrand replica wheels.). The 12.88 brake option in front would not require a spacer.

I haven’t run hard on track with aero yet as I’m trying to get non aero balance sorted first. That will definitely amp up the braking and spindle flexing forces.

Stay tuned and I’ll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Willwood makes a floating hat in the 12.88 size (rear FFR big brake kit). It is on the rears. It was just a hat with floating bolts on my original rotor “shoe”. (The steel part)

I had a floating “shoe” fabbed up with matching floating hardware for the front. 1.25 thick 14 inch rotor. It will work with my original hat.

So. In front I replace the rotor to get it to float and in the back I replaced the hat. I know it’s all very odd.

I’ll run the coupe Friday and see if my knock back issue is solved. If not, the next step will be to upgrade my front spindles. (They seem a bit flimsy)

In other news I showed the coupe at a car show in Denver, and it was well received.

Shown here next to a “continuation” coupe.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Track testing revealed too much boost with the power steering even at lowest flow rate to the rack. So... manual rack is back in.

It’s a bit rough around parking lots but better at speed (better feel and feedback)

My advice having run both on track and streets is use manual rack for track build and power setup for a show or street car/weekend cruiser.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Superformance yes. Cool car. The air jacks are great especially when the front aero is on. (It’s hard to get a jack under there and necessary to lift front end to get hood open with aero installed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

381 - 400 of 420 Posts