Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i have a few questions regarding installing a vortech v1-sc (base unit)on a stock 1989 motor.
#1)The tech said i would not need to upgrade my pump(currently a bbk 110)with the fmu and stock engine.But i do plan on upgrading the heads (to gt40p),intake (to explorer or cobra), t-b (?),injectors(?),maf meter(?) down the road.

should i upgrade to a 255 intake pump now, or maybe add an inline (t-rex) to my pump? should the intake 255 be hi pressure (#gss340) or low pressure (#gss307), and could i then run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with the fmu?, which do you sugest?

#2)i really didnt want to swap cams right now, would it be benificial to go with 1.7 roller rockers with the stock cam and a supercharger?

#3)should i replace the stock headgaskets with some new felpros i have laying around while i have the motor somewhat stripped and accessable since the body is off, or is it a waste of time, and if i do happen to find a set of gt40p heads soon and have to replace them which gaskets would you use

i have read hours and hours of info on the web, so many people are doing different stuff so i figured i would ask people who have superchrged cobras maybe someone has a setup similar to mine that runs great and is reliable,thanks........Vinny

·
8,153 Posts
Skip the head gaskets and the cam for now but change the pump for sure. No way a 110 pump will keep up with that set up. Adding an in line pump will work just as well.

·
The Traveler
3,093 Posts
I think the 255 lpm hi pressure using in tank should supply all your fuel neads. Speak with Gordon Levy about his fuel system upgrade and then you can dump the FMU completely. He has a set of large diameter lines, fuel regulator etc that will supply most any combination.

When you do the heads then get a good quality head gasket. FMS will recomend their head gasket for the gt40 heads and other companies heads will recommend others. I went with the gasket the head manufacture suggested for supercharged applications.

As for the 1.7 roller rockers, I have them on my aluminum heads BUT I also have a cam designed for 1.7 roller rockers specifically. I also bent a push rod because I messed up on my valve covers. The 1.7 roller rockers usually need a little clearance on the valve covers. So check both the valve to piston clearence as well as the valve covers.

·
The Traveler
3,093 Posts
Forgot to also mention consider a MSD or Crane ignition system as part of the upgrade for a supercharger. With either system you can get a boost retard as well as a ignition system rev limiter!!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, so do you think the 1.7 rockers with the stock cam is worth it at this time

Arizona? Ralph,well i guess you wont be dropping any wheels off again anytime soon huh

Mike i hope to have the car done this summer, maybe i will see you at the car show again in Jackson NJ at the outlets........Vinny

·
Charter Member
3,059 Posts
Gotta do at least a 190lph, even if you only did the heads and some of the other mods, independent of the supercharger. A boostapump works well, but you need to have a large enough in tank or a frame mounted external pump (no in tank then) big enough to keep a supply going - other wise it will cavitate (been there).

Roller rockers are worthwhile even without the heads and cam. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords tested them good for a 10 to 25 hp gain. Are you sure about the 1.7 and not the 1.6 ratio? 1.6 Cobra rollers are generally the norm, even on the GT 40 heads.

Do the cam and heads at the same time, it's easier - it's all apart at that point. Head gasket - like Traveler stated on the brand / material. Also think about going to studs instead of the stock torque to yeild head bolts (remember, never reuse them). If you use a three composite head gasket, I recommend torquing the head bolts over an extended period of time. I did the inital finger tight, then the 20 lb. Waited two hours, did the 45lb. Waited over night, re-torqued to 50lb, waited 5 hours and then did the final torquing - you would be surprise how much torque is lost over head gasket continued compression. I was blowing a head gasket every season prior to this approach.

MSD w/soft rev limiter, high output coil, adjustable fuel regulator - all goodness.

Better upper and lower intake - Cobra or GT-40 "nest of snakes" good way to go. Port matching a good idea. For the extremist have them "magna flowed". It's a thick abrasive goo that is forced through the upper and lower - increase internal diamater, ensures port match, and polishes at the same time.

1" phenolic spacer also a good way to get cooler temps and better torque (longer runner length). You'll need a bigger throttle body - 65mm generally. Fuel injectors - at least 24lb if not 30.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips jack, i figured the 1.7's would be a cheap way to bump the cam up a little over the stock 1.6 ratio as well as the benifits of roller rockers, just dont know if it will help with the blower

would you suggest retorqueing the stock heads or leave them alone

btw www.buyfordracing.com has a ford 90mm maf and 42lb ford(bosch) injectors on special package for $319 (maybe get rid of the fmu).....decisions,decisions.......VInny

·
The Traveler
3,093 Posts
Vinny...
Here is the bump stick I used
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=5&Vehicle_Type=Auto&Cylinders=8&Engine_Make=FORD-MERCURY&Year=1990&Engine_Size=302%20C.I.&partNumber=444225&partType=camshaft

It's part number 444225 specifically designed for....

GOOD MID-RANGE TORQUE AND HP, DESIGNED FOR USE WITH 1.7 RATIO ROCKERS AND MASS AIRFLOW STYLE F.I. ENGINES WITH AFTERMARKET INTAKE, HEADS, EXHAUST AND CENTRIFUGAL STYLE BLOWER BENEFITS BEST: 5-SPD OR AUTO W/MILD STALL CONVERTER. (50 STATE LEGAL 85-93, C.A.R.B. E.O. D-225-46) BASIC RPM 2000-5500

The car with the supercharger 1.7 rollers and aluminum heads really flys! Gas milage is very good and idle is just enough so that many think it's a big block!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Ralph, i keep going back and forth on what to do with this motor, my last ffr had trick flow heads and intake 65mm throttle body, 73 maf, 1.7 roller rockers, 355 gears and was quick but i want more but i only have around $2000 for engine mods at this time, thats why i though of a supercharger and fuel pump, i also thought of getting new heads and intake and upgrading all the other efi stuff, that site buy ford racing .com has New ford y303 heads for $749 a pair as well as that injector/maf meter package, so now i am thinking about that again, i just really dont want to climb back into the engine after the car is done, i was trying to find some explorer gt40p heads to put on now while its accesable,maybe i should do the heads and stuff now and the blower later, i dont know, this is as bad as trying to pick a paint color, which i will have to do again too, boy it aint easy owning a cobra ;) ......Vinny

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,018 Posts
There is no reason to get anything other than a 255 gss 340 in tank. (I originally installed a 190 but had to pull it for a 255)It should give you all you need and if not add a booster. I don't know what your hp goals are but that will do for a 400 rwhp car but I would still watch the fuel guage during a full throttle dyno run to verify you are getting enough.

Just get 42# injectors and forget the fmu
stock cam is great with the 1.7s
ditto on the ignition, stock ecu cuts fuel at the rev limiter, thats bad under boost.
fel pro 9333PT1 and 8548 pt2 head gaskets are popular with the turbo mustang croud and they are .047 thick. I am running stock ones and hope to never change them

Maf, well I would of said Pro-M now maybe a used bullet, univer, or C&L and a tweecer.
heads, P or the al takeoffs are good.
for a tb I think a 65 mm explorer take off is fine.

I think the explorer intake or cobra intake will be a great budget upgrade, you don't need high end stuff since you are under boost. Unless you plan on running dart block and want over 600 rwhp. Which would not be fun in our cars IMHO.

In general on boosted cars I think there is less need to dump alot of extra money on high end performance parts, expensive heads etc. Just add a little more boost if needed
If you want to spend dollars, spend it on your fuel system or block.

My info comes mostly from the turbomustangs crowd, I have twin turbos but have not dynoed yet or had them long enough to give any real world experience, I can just tell you 8lbs of intercooled boost is a plenty of HP.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Gary, 350rwhp would be nice, i like the idea of new ford y heads for $749, while i have easy access to them, i also like the price of the ford 42 lb injectors and lightning 90mm maf meter package for $319, i may go this way and add the blower down the road, would that maf and injectors (and a new throttle body)run ok without the blower for a while?
i also thought of porting the lower stock intake instead of a new one, as i have read that is a big restriction, i could probably spend $2000 on the engine right now and another $1000 max in a few months so i would like to not have to buy twice, thanks for the input.......Vinny

·
8,153 Posts
Vinny.

Where did you find the deal on the injectors and MAF? I'm going to need a blow through meter for my latest project and my Pro-M 80mm won't cut it.

BTW, drop me an e-mail if you do go to the Outlet car show this year. It's only about 25 minute drive for me and the turnout of cars is always fantastic. Well worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey Mike, that was the only time i went with my ffr when i met you, but i hear its always that good of a turnout, i will let you know

www.buyfordracing.com has the maf and injector deal, do you think if i buy that package i can use it before i get the supercharge, i just dont want to let the deal get away, also do you think those ford y303 heads will work good with a vortech v1-sc since they are not high compression heads, they are a deal too, thanks.......Vinny

·
8,153 Posts
Vinny

I just looked at the Lightning meter on that site and that won't work for me either. The flange on the filter end will not handle the boost pressure for a blow through set up. Oh well. When I'm ready I'll go back and talk with Jim LaRocca, I'm sure he'll be able to set me up with something. He did a great job on my Kenne Bell tune.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts