1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m thinking of getting the superchargerkit below:

http://www.performanceparts.ford.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=29

Model name is : M-6066-A50
Has anyone got this one or can someone tell me how much HP and Torque I could calculate to receive? (Given the fact that I´ve changed to better lines and injectors if nesessary...)
I have a stock 302 EFI -90.
I will meassure the HP at the wheels but I need some kind of guiding regarding what HP & Torque I would get and see if it´s worth the cost!
Thanks
Peter

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts
That Ford Supercharger is the Powerdyne 6# boost supercharger, so I'd refer you to their site to get even more information on the supercharger. The 8# boost one is the BD-10 and it's the one I'm using on my car.

Depending on shipping arrangements might want to search the internet for a better pricing also. I see them for about $2000 on the internet.

[ January 14, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Traveler ]

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
HP and torque depends on boost levels, of course. Figure around 6-7% per pound of boost, so at 6 pounds, you'd get about a 40% increase in power. My dyno figures below are with about 6-7 PSI on a stock motor. Without the blower, I had 208 RWHP on the same dyno.

With a centrifugal, power increases exponentially with RPM, so you will see the max boost at higher RPM's, though it will be noticeable lower down as well.

Boost can be tricky, more than 6-7 PSI and you will need a better ignition, and a bypass valve. At any boost level you need to be sure the mixture doesn't run lean or you will blow a head gasket, or worse, very quickly.

blowers are fun, but you want to learn all you can about them. The supercharger forum at www.corral.net is good, as is http://www.superchargerhelp.com/

There are other blowers that are comparable in price and performance to the Powerdyne. I have a Paxton Novi 1000, Vortech makes good ones, too. It will pay to shop around a little for price. I got mine at Muscle Motors (advertiser here) at a good price.

Forrest

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Peter, Paxton and Vortech both make super blowers that may have some longivity over the Powerdyne. Slight improvements to the air intake side will deliver more boost. Our Vortech was supposed to deliver 8 lbs of boost, but with a custom air intake runs 12 lbs. More importantly, you will have to get your mill to breathe better than stock. This is easily accomplished with 4 into 4 headers, good cam, alum heads. A set of roller rockers is not a bad idea either. With Vortech, you will have to increase the size of the injectors and upgrade to a 255lph pump. We have two 255's in series (one came with the Vortech kit). Vortech will also supply you with a boost retard unit and FMU that will be absolutely necessary to keep from melting a piston. Paxton will supply you with the bigger injectors. When you change injectors you will also have to get a Mass Air unit that is calibrated to the injector size. Vortech will also calibrate the FMU to the size injectors you will use. It is a fairly easy install with either Paxton or Vortech. We have installed both in under a day (including drinking beer and listening to rock n roll).

Frank n Sons.

·
Registered
103 Posts
IMO, I would not want to go with a powerdyne. Nothing agianst them but I think there are better units out there. I'm a fan of the Vortech units personaly, but ATI makes some nice ones also. My only argument with ATI is it comes with a intercooler (probaly not a big deal with a FFR car compared to a normal fox). With that being sad back to your point, boost is just a number really. Boost is relative, and depends on several things. On a 302 I would say with stock everything and just tossing on the blower and Engine mangnement needed you may see 260ish hp guessing of course.

·
Senior Charter Member
818 Posts
got my PowerDyne 6psi from West Coast Supercharger for about $1600.00 and change wth the factory rebate..Installed on stock 93 5.0 w/no additional upgrades...pretty big diff. over stock. Just my .02

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
I have about 9,000 miles on my Powerdyne. No problems yet. It's the 5-6 psi version, figure it added about 60-75 hp to the stock 5.0. With the new heads, intake, injectors, 4 into 4's, MAF and throttle body, the engine breathes a lot better, I figure it's worth about 125-150 hp at this point. Ralph's ran his Powerdyne for ages. If all you want is a decent increase in hp, without tapping oil pans, running oil lines, paying extra money, installing intercoolers et al, take the 1600, save the 4-1200 extra and wait for the "rebuild" everyone tells me I'll need eventually, that I've seen no sign of yet.

Dave

Of course, now that I've written this, I guess I can order my rebuild kit, as assuredly, this statement will cause it's immediate destruction.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Dave, you car has way more power than mine (based on the "comparison" when we were on the way to Vegas). Mine dyno'ed at 297 rwhp with the blower, so I'd guess you're nearer to 400 rwhp by the way you pulled ahead. Heads do help a lot.

Tapping the oil pan is not a big deal; I've done it twice now (2 oil pans). Some people seem to have trouble with the Powerdynes, others don't.

And then there are the Kenne-Bell and other positive-displacement blowers, which have more low-end torque but cost a more. They're pretty good blowers, slightly more efficient, too. I'm not sure that I'd want a lot more low-end torque: I seem to have plenty now.

forrest

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all information to my project!
Is there anyone with pictures on an installed Powerdyne?

Regarding choosing supercharger, I want one that don´t requires too many other modifications.
If I make major modification to the vehicle I have to pay additional fees to drive it (we have stupid rules here, and high fees if you brake them).
Also, I don´t want to change exhaust because there´s a $900 enviroment-fee if you don´t use catalytic converters. If I drive the car without cats and haven´t payed the fee and get caught there´s another fee of $2800...

I´m thinking of changing engine to a 427 at a later time and selling the 302 with supercharger for a fair price wouldn´t be hard.

I just want some fun additional HP and Torque for the summer in a couple of months....$1950 + a few hundred seems fair to me. If I go for another S-charger it´s probably better but also more expensive. There will also be other costs with injectors and so on....
Once again, thanks for helping me straighten out the question-marks!
And also...pics of the Powerdyne?
Peter

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Erik2836k - Yes Paxton and Vortech are now one, however, the blowers are not the same. Can't go wrong with either one.

Frank n Sons.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Originally posted by Peter,aka Gibson:

I just want some fun additional HP and Torque for the summer in a couple of months....$1950 + a few hundred seems fair to me. If I go for another S-charger it´s probably better but also more expensive. There will also be other costs with injectors and so on....
Peter
If you want things running right, I think it usually ends up more than just a few hundred dollars....You might want to post a question on what is really needed and what other guys have added to make their set-ups work properly.
I know, I went way over. Dumping FMU, injectors,etc. I couldn't get things right with the FMU fuel management. My .02

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point!
Has anyone got information regarding what other costs that will come with installing the supercharger namned above?
I´m not looking to add additional HP over the HP that the charger would supply at this time, only to make the supercharger work properly with my stock 302 EFI -90.
Ideas anyone?
Injectors?, Fuelpump?, Others? (Except fuel-lines that I´m changing of course...)
I´ve been emailing with the supplier of the supercharger and he told me that my stock stuff would work fine, but I need a second opinon!
Thanks for helping me!
Peter

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
My Novi 1000 worked great right out of the box, as most entry-level blowers do, I think. Blower cost was $1600, and the only other things I needed was a better fuel pump, and adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge (about $100 for both). I used a Walbro GSS340 high-pressure 255 lph in-tank pump, available for around $100. The Paxton uses an FMU to increase fuel pressure under boost, and I wasn't sure that my tired old stock pump was up to it.

Initially, I used the stock ignition, with colder plugs (and smaller gap), and it ran great (about 5# boost). The increase in power was amazing!

Later, wanting even more, I added a smaller crank pulley to spin the blower up a little faster, to 6-7 # boost, and went to a better ignition and added a bypass valve at that time. I dybo'ed it after that, too, just to check power and mixture. Under max boost, fuel pressure goes up to about 70-80 psi, and it actually runs a bit rich (better than lean!). This is using the stock 19 lb/hr injectors.

Being a little rich is fine because I am only under boost for maybe 5 or 10 seconds at a time (because after 10 seconds, I'm going really fast). The rest of the time the motor is as driveable and well-mannered as a stock motor, which it is, really. Fuel mileage is only affected slightly, depending how much time I spend at WOT.

I got the blower for the same reasons as you: inexpensive power while I decided what my ultimate engine would be, and I could always sell it easily if I wanted. I've been very happy with it so far (1.5 years).

With the Euro as strong as it is, this is a good time to load up on American parts, I think.

Forrest

[ January 15, 2004, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: forrest1 ]

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
The basic setup, for a stock 5.0 and a 5 or 6 lb. Powerdyne, is an upgraded fuel pump and an FMU installed in the fuel supply line. That's it. And it runs great! Of course you can do a lot more, but for the lower pressure, that's all you need. I'll email you a picture of the blower mounted up.

Dave

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Dave for the picture!
I have a qustion for you or anyone else that´s got a Powerdyne. Can someone show me the mounting of the Mass Air-meter?
I could´t see it at yours Dave..
Peter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts