Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm ignoring the "don't need a supercharger" folks and building a 33 HR with a supercharged coyote engine.

(I ignored similar advice years ago when I beefed up a Harley with 2x low down torque = 3x fun. Blower = more low down torque = more fun. hp means nothing).

Anyway, I cannot find much detailed info on doing this anywhere.

My understanding of the issues are as follows:
1. alternator and A/C pump fitment
2. intercooler low temp radiator fitment with A/C condenser
3. transmission/chassis etc up to the job

My build is RHD so some of the fitment issues are going to be different, eg oil filter no problem.

I have to have the A/C unit here, required for defog in cold climate, and power steering. These may have their own fitment issues.

I have come up with some solutions for the LTR fitment - modify radiator and grill (no thanks), remote mount the LTR elsewhere in engine bay or even back of car with its own fan (if I have to), or use the radiators unused built-in tranny oil cooler plus a small high efficiency auxiliary cooler squeezed in somewhere (my current plan).

The crate engines I'm looking at are 6-7psi boost and I'm told I could probably get away without intercooling for daily driving.

A couple of things make life easier. Colder climate here (mostly 15-20C/60-70F, extreme 30C/85F). Also 93/94 octane fuel is easy to get here at normal gas stations (note this is RON 98, vs USA (R+M)/2, for non-US people).

The current version of the 33 HR frame is apparently ok to fit a T56 Magnum trans in with minimal modification, just need a bit shaved off the mount, rebuild the fibreglass tunnel, shorten the driveshaft and the mustang IRS helps too. The Magnum takes 700ft/lbs.

I would be grateful for helpful comments from anybody who has done anything like this. Will update this thread with more info as I get into the build.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to have the A/C unit here, required for defog in cold climate, and power steering. These may have their own fitment issues
I know this is an aside from the main topic, but you could put in a *much* smaller heater rather than AC if all you needed was defrost, right? That's what I'm considering..

·
Registered
728 Posts
LTR is low temp radiator. It could the fluid that circulates through the inter cooler.

Personally I would mount it under the car with a fan. That's my plan if I do supercharge mine. Whipple 2.9 L.

Ac compressor and alternator are no more of an issue with or without the blower.

No problem. Do it. It'll fit just may not fit under the hood. And with any coyote, you can go up to 11 psi. I'm actually running 13 on my 2015 mustang.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I did think about a plain heater. Then I remembered driving around in old cars with no aircon trying to defog the windscreen with the windows wide open and heater on full blast with my head hanging out the drivers window and eyeballs icing up or hoping the car knows where its going cos I don't...

Been assembling the grill and radiator there is actually a fair bit of space if you keep the A/C condensor as close to the radiator as practical and space the grill a bit further out. Will have to work out how much I can get away with. A long skinny intercooler radiator will fit. Might get one custom made.

·
Banned
469 Posts
A transmission oil cooler would not do the job of an LTR. The LTR is placed before the AC condenser, so it only removes the heat from the fluid circulated through the supercharger.

Aftermarket AC units like the compac or mini GenII from vintage air are used in this car, but the cooling and heating functions are crude, compared to a modern car's climate control. Only heat would function in defrost mode. In AC mode, when you turn the knob a little short of full cold, the compressor comes on and runs the air temp down to 36-40F for a brief time, then turns the compressor off and leaves it off until the air temp rises to around 50F. Then the cycle repeats.

If you really want the AC to work, you'll need a lot of extra insulation.

I e-mailed Vintage Air recently to see what the difference was in the performance of the two units. They said the compac is slightly larger with a cooling capacity of about 12,000 BTU/hr and the mini provides about 11,000 BTU/hr. I used the mini in my '37 fiberglass bodied car, mainly because the low mounted hose connections insure I can replace a hose without removing the dash. Even then, I had to cut an access hole in the firewall and install a cover plate over it. It allows two large wrenches access to the #10 suction hose. The hose with the loop is the high pressure hose. The fitting is so close to the firewall that there was no room for a direct hose routing through the firewall. The end fitting passes through the firewall and the dryer/trinary switch is located on the other side. It eliminates the need for the common firewall pass-through fitting. None of my hoses use a pass-through fitting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

Been busy in the shed. Update as follows:

Found a thing called a killer chiller which uses the air con system to cool the intercooler water. Bearing in mind the vintage air a/c has less cooling ability as stock I'm hoping this will do the job. If it doesn't, I will get a custom radiator build to fit the gap in front of the A/C radiator.

My build is roadster style with a soft top - so the ac and heating are not ever going to have any useful function other than defrosting the windshield in cold wet weather.

My next mission is to sort out the fitment issues related to the right hand drive conversion. I think the steering shaft might go through the usual place where the compressor would mount on the RHS of the engine. Can't find any good pictures of a right hand build with coyote. Found a helpful guy in Australia but he didn't use A/C, PS or supercharger.

Will update when I get somewhere...

·
Junior Charter Member
592 Posts
The Killer Chiller is an auxiliary intercooling system which is meant to be used with a regular heat exchanger. There is quite a bit of space at the front of the car for an intercooler. I think a custom intercooler, or a bit of an unorthodox mounting like underneath would be a better bet than the other solutions you have outlined.

In a moderate climate, frankly I think you are wasting your time with A/C. If you eliminate that, it is one less radiator to deal with in front of the car.

-Matthew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts