Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, just for fun, I follow the price of muscle cars and the prices have really gotten out of hand--Boss 429's going for $150,000, any Hemi is over $100k and of course my favorite cars, the Charger Daytona/Superbird are now also into the six figures. Only a few years ago you could get a nice one for under $40k. The strange part to me is that the clones, which were always looked down upon, are now taking off too, as if they were legitimate collector's items. Hemi clones go for over $50,000 now. Anyway, I came across this Superbird clone on e-bay. Incredibly, 15 different people actually wanted to own this thing, but even more incredible, the owner had a reserve on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4506488585&category=6199&sspagename=WDVW

There is no explaining some people's taste in automobiles.

Tom

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
It's the parts that are worth more than the car as a whole. However, it is unique enough that it actually grows on me the more I look at it....Especially love the supercharger set up.

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
I have to agree with mrmustang, the supercharger is very nice.

·
944 Posts
Generally I like these cars, but on this one the body work looks a little off. I would need to see it in person to see just how much work needs to be done.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on this one the body work looks a little off
Yeah Bill, I agree, probably because he used the wrong year donor to make the clone. Daytonas/Superbirds weren't made in 1972 and never with that body style. Also, most of the clones use a body kit made by a guy in Texas, but this guy seems to have made his own (with his eyes closed).

Tom

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
But its a rare Targa model. That should be worth at least $20k!

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,432 Posts
Looks like its been thru the wringer... well like it started to go thru anyway.

AJ I think those are stylish wheel covers rather than plain ol hubcaps :D

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Originally posted by RobFFR4375:
WOW...that's freakin amazing!!! I can't believe how good of a job they did turning that Charger into a big old piece of SH!T!
You took the words right out of my mouth. And I have always hated those super bees. I thought they were the ugliest cars this side of a Citroen.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I must say.. that is the answer to the question that was never asked !!!!!! boy, some peoples kids.....

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
You guys never seen a "project car" before? The Cobra sitting in my garage looks pretty bad in photographs too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts