Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a summit heater and looking through the posts it looks like a lot of folks are splitting the heater with the core on the dash side of the firewall and the blower on the engine side. I am curious why you couldn't install the whole thing on the engine side over the passenger footbox and only run your vent hoses through the firewall in order to free up more room for a glove compartment? Am I missing something :confused1:

Auto part Vehicle Windshield Automotive window part Engine

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
280 Posts
I installed mine split like you described, following what others have done. But what you suggest, I don't see why not either. Actually, I kind of wish I had thought of that, it seems so simple...

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
If it fits, why not? I didn't want to suck in engine bay air, and wanted a clean firewall. Pleanty of people say they don't get smells. A few say they do. I went the other way and put it all behind the dash and doing a full glove box. Had to fab a custom plenum.

Your way looks a lot easier.

·
Registered
925 Posts
That's exactly what I did:

Details here:

February 26, 2012

I also made a "dog house" to cover the heater:

Tim

·
Junior Charter Member
2,472 Posts
If the unit goes inside the car, be sure to clamp the hoses well and check them often. We had a member that had a hose come off and someone got burned pretty badly.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
That's pretty impressive Tim!:)
First time I have seen a plenum box done quite like that.

Where do you draw your fresh air in from? Have you allowed for access, in case your heater core leaks or a hose needs replacing?

·
Registered
925 Posts
The outboard top panel is removable, allowing access. The same panel does not go all the way back to the firewall, leaving a space for air to enter.

Tim

·
Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim that was exactly what I was looking for. Very nicely executed!
Any thoughts on creating an opening in the top of passenger footbox to allow for fresh cockpit air to come back to the heater?
Joe

·
Registered
925 Posts
Any thoughts on creating an opening in the top of passenger footbox to allow for fresh cockpit air to come back to the heater?
Joe
Yeah, I thought about it. It will be very easy to do if I decide it's necessary. It's plan "B", particularly if I decide to put a top on the car.

Tim

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Joe
You could also rig up a cable controlled blast gate, mounted to the blower box, and run a fresh air intake hose up to a small scoop, (similar to the foot box cooling set up, on the original Daytona coupes).
With a top on, I can see the need for this fresh air source, rather than drawing in engine bay air. With the open roadster, it's not so crucial. The only time I ever smelled any engine bay fumes, is if sitting at stop light for a few minutes, and the heater blower running on high. Even then, it's not bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.