Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on the braided fuel line kits that Summit sells, including their own brand hose or Aeroquip, Earls, etc. The kits I'm looking at have 20 ft of stainless braided hose and come with most of the needed AN fittings. Do these hoses have the fittings installed already, or can the hose be cut to size and then the fittings installed. If so, how are the fittings installed? Anything special I would need to do this? Sorry if these are stupid questions but it's the first time I've worked with these lines. Thanks.
J_B

·
Caress of Steel
2,180 Posts
Gotta cut to fit and install the fittings. Don't need any special tools, other than maybe a cutoff wheel to cut the hoses...that's the only thing that cut them cleanly enough to keep from fraying the braid so much you can't put the fitting on. I made a mess out of my first one, then got the hang of it.

You put the red sleeve end down on a table, then hold the hose braid as tight as you can and push it gently on the end. Use a small flat screwdriver to tuck the tiny ends of the braided line so they slip inside the red hose end while you work your way around until they're all tucked in, then work the hose in until it won't go any more. Then take the blue end and thread it into the red collar...you'll need AN wrenches if you want to keep them pristine, or just tuck the red sleeve in a vice (gently!...they'll crush)while you use a box-end to tighten the blue end into it.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Someone here just posted that they had a problem with the smell of fuel coming through the summit lines.

Do a search and talk to them before you buy. I think I remember that only the aeroquip hose is recommended for fuel.

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Dan, for that reason I was planning to go with the aeroquip. I remember the post and only $10 more.
J_B

·
Junior Charter Member
354 Posts
J_B. I bought the stainless hose and fittings from Summit. Prefitted the hose from the tank to the carb and cut pieces with a hacksaw. Took the hoses and fittings down to a local hose shop and had all the hoses made and pressure tested. No leaks or smell.

I did try to attach the fittings and make my own hoses but it was a Pain in the A** and I wasn't sure of the reliability of my work. Try it yourself.

Kevin

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Guys,

Beware, the braided lines (unless they are the teflon lined ones) become aromatic over time. What does this mean, if your in a closed garage, you will have a faint whiff of fuel vapor noticeable. This has been talked about in a recent thread both here and on CC. If you have any type of gas space heater in your garage, the consequences could be disastrous.

Just a friendly warning...........

Bill S.

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
Vinyl from Ron Morris will solve all of these problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A quick note on the braided lines, i've found that wrapping the area to be cut with masking tape twice around aids in containing the braid and can slip the fitting on no problem. That's making the cut with a death wheel.

·
3,645 Posts
vinyl line from RON MORRIS, ONE STRAIGHT SHOT TO THE FRON OF THE CAR.

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
J_B, we sell a stainless steel fuel line adapter that you can use with the fuel line that Factory Five provides with the kits. It makes it very easy to go from the steel line to the AN lines. Thus eliminating the weeping braided lines.
This fitting, also eliminates the need to flare the fuel line ends.
Here is a picture of the fitting we sell at Forte's. Everyone should be using these.

http://cobras.worldwidegarage.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10142/MVC-008F.JPG

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
J_B, don't get ANYTHING BUT Aeroquip teflon lined hose. Search back the saga from "teamfour" and his Russell lines seeping and smelling.

Also, don't get any "kits", they might have fittings that you don't need or don't have some you do. Sit down and plan your path. Get a catalog of fittings, and pick what you really need. It's like putting a lego set together.

[ April 08, 2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: LuisO ]

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of the Aeroquip teflon racing hose that I found at Summit is all listed for clutch, transmission, and A/C use. Are these safe for fuel use? The Aeroquip AQP Racing hose does not appear to be teflon lined but I've never heard of anyone having any problems with the Aeroquip hose. I'm using all braided lines in the engine compartment so I really don't want to use the vinyl or nylon hoses. I really want to find a braided hose option that will work. Thanks.
J_B

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
another thing about the summit kits...i ordered the one you're talking about, and finally cancelled the order after 8 weeks of being backordered "indefinitely." If you go this route, nail them down on a delivery date or prepare to wait indefinitely. I finally went to the local speed shop a couple of days ago and got what I needed in about 20 minutes, and I don't know crap ;) .

All the best,
Chris

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the heads up. What do you know. It's out of stock. I'll check a few other places.
J_B

1 - 16 of 16 Posts