Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
normally, it is quiet, and at a standstill, you can turn the steering wheel round and round standstill with your pinky.

this morning i started it up and the steering made a lot of noise. the tire is not rubbing, but if i had to describe the sound, it sounds if the tread of the tire was rubbing on something. the wheel has a litte vibration when you turn it. this is all while at a standstill -- when the car is moving there is too much noise to notice anything about the steering.

i thought it might be because it was cold out, but even when it warmed up, the noise was still there. the wheel is significantly harder to turn now.

the funny thing is, there was a label on the pump that said before the pump was broken in, it may whine a little. when it was new, it never made any noise.

i have a new stock p/s pump, new stock steering rack. the pump is full and there are no leaks. 600 miles on the car now.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Ford p/s pumps always make noise, don't they? Mine does, and so does the one in my Exploder.

·
1,648 Posts
OH COME ON EDDIE !

We all saw those guns your sportin during your star paint job post. What the heck do you need with power steering for. Unless all that ice cream has made you soft.
3rd vote for loose belt, and check the fluid.

Good luck
Brian

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would check the fluid. The PS on my wifes van makes noise when the fluid level goes down.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

how much play should i have in my belt for this setup?

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i had about 1" of play in the belt. i just snugged it up so i have about 1/2" of play, but no difference.

fluid is topped off. i added a little more just to be sure. i drove it around, turned the wheel a lot and no difference. i went under the car and confirmed that there are no leaks.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the pulleys are very square. the belt is very straight. took me a long time to line them up.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,747 Posts
Rule of thumb is that the belt should be tight enough that you can twist it a little less than 90 degrees w/ you fingers.
Unfortunately, it sounds like your pump may be gone to me. If you have a long screwdriver,put the handle to your ear and the tip on the side of the pump.Be careful to stay away from the belt.If you're in doubt as to the correct sound, try this on your daily driver as a comparison.Good luck

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Did you need to all of a sudden add fluid? If so the steering needs to be bled. This is done by turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times till all the air is removed. Did you do the spring mod where the spring was shortened? Cutting to much of the spring off will also do this. You have the symptoms of a loose belt or slipping belt.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh no. the pump is brand new. it's a pain in the tuckus to change that thing. taking off the pulley, putting on the new one straight... ugh i'd hate to have to change it.

why would it all of a sudden crap out? it was perfect when i pulled the car in the garage a week ago.

·
15,282 Posts
I'm with Hind Sight on this one. When air gets in the power steering lines, there is a LOT of noise. In my case, the lock-to-lock thing helped, and then I just kept driving and adding fluid as necessary. Once it bled out, there was little to no noise from the PS system.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no, i did not do the spring mod yet. it didn't need fluid. honestly, the dipstick part on my donor p/s cap is broken off. the fluid was up to just past the "neck" part of the p/s housing. i added a litte extra to be sure.

i got the pump at autozone, i'm not too concerned about the price of the pump - it's just that i have to remove the p/s bracket from the engine, and the bracket is attached to the water pump, and i am afraid the waterpump will leak. then, i have to re-do the cooling system, puke, burp, etc.

again, the hardest part is getting that p/s pulley on the new pump straight.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I'm also voting for air in the system.....Bleed it and noise will dissappear.....You bleed from the low pressure side , into a jar or bucket, and add fluid as you turn lock to lock...don't let the reservoir empty.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Eddie tightening the belt made no difference so with 1/2" of belt play we can rule loose belt out. Possible some oil,anti freeze,ect got on the belt/pulleys so a shot of belt dressing would eliminate belt slippage from contamination as a cause since belt is tight. Not likely but worth a try?
Try bleeding the system doing the lock to lock turning of the wheel while engine running. Problem still there afraid it may be the pump.
Would'nt worry too much about water pump leaking when changing the bracket as long as it's done on a cold motor so there is no pressure in the cooling system.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.