Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a local yard today and got a non tilt upper steering shaft and a Fiero E Brake all for $30. They had three "donors" in the yard. I am going back methinks to pick up the gas tank cover. If anyone around here is interested, Mitchells is where I went, just past Sandtown.

·
7,823 Posts
Mike I did the Fiero e-brake upgrade to mine. I think it will be a great improvement. I have already made a new aluminum handle for mine based on the one i make for the Mustang unit. If there are enough people doing this, i will also make a boot ring for the floor. I will try to post some pics of my install when i get a chance. I also boxed mine in underneath. I got the idea from someone else on the forum.
Mike

·
Charter Member
505 Posts
Mike,
Can you post or email me some pics of the emergency brake mod from the fiero? What is the advantages of using it instead of the Mustang?

Thanks,

Earl

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hey Mike! How's the build goin?
You're hardcore , rootn' around in a junkyard today!
When the weather turns better I'll take a ride down to check out your build.
Happy New Year!
RR

·
8,329 Posts
Crash, the advantage is you can install it on the driver side floor next to the door. The handle pulls up to set the brack but then drops back down and lays flat so it doesn't get in the way when you get in and out of the car and since it's on the driver side you can release the brakes with the shoulder straps on.
Wayne Presley was the first to do this and is still a neat idea.

·
Charter Member
505 Posts
Thanks Russ.
Do you have any pics on your site of this mod and how it is done?

Thanks again,

Earl

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Macho,
Half Inch shallow socket. If the seat is still in the car a deep well is tough to get in there, although it can be done as all we had with us yesterday were deep wells.

Mike,
What about the cables. Do I use the donor mustang cables or after market?

Rob,
The build is not progressing near as fast as I'd like! I am starting to hang stuff on the frame now though. My harness is at Rob Weatherbie's shop now and I am getting ready to take the rearend in to have the gears swapped out. I butchered my shoulder somehow so I have to watch what I am doing for now. Would love for ya to stop down sometime and lend your expertise!

·
Charter Member
505 Posts
Thanks, that's what I needed!

Thanks again,

Earl

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Macho,
One other tool to take with you is a 1/2 inch box wrench. Slide it over the cable to release it from the bracket. You'll see what I mean.
Cheers

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did you guys use for an E-brake lite set up? Or did you? My concern would eb accidently driving off with the Fiero handle stowed while the brake is still engaged. Sure there would be tell tale signs, but I'd rather avoid the embarassment!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by russ thompson:
Crash, the advantage is you can install it on the driver side floor next to the door. The handle pulls up to set the brack but then drops back down and lays flat so it doesn't get in the way when you get in and out of the car and since it's on the driver side you can release the brakes with the shoulder straps on.
Wayne Presley was the first to do this and is still a neat idea.
The Porsche 914 has the same type of "drop-down" e-brake; driver side between seat and door. Also, unlike the Fiero, typical Porsche quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts