Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting on my IRS axles... not sure what I'm waiting for, but when I bought my IRS components for the rear end I sent them off to get something done to them. I probably should've asked first. Oops :D

Anyway, I assume there's not enough play with them to install them with the spindles bolted up, right? I've managed to get a lot of parts on my car but not a damn thing is actually torqued down except the IRS center section because of missing parts. I'm assuming I have to take at least the upper control arm bolt out to get the axles in when I get them?

How does the IRS lower control arms get lubricated? There's no grease fittings on them. Do they not need to be?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
George, Probablly what you are having done to the axles are having them shortened and new joints put in. I don't think there is enough play to just unbolt the top or just unbolt the bottom. After I had the center section in I snapped in the axles then attached the spindles and control arms. There is enough swing in the spindle if you install a sway bar later to just unbolt the top and swing the spindle out of the way. As far as lubrication I think I just used the white grease that came with the bushings.

An easy upgrade now if you haven't done it is to replace the rubber mounts for the center section with aluminium ones. This will keep the center section stationary and help avoid cracks in the housing later. Forte's and others have these for little money.

Mike M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Larry, I took the FFR supplied axles, gave them to Mike Forte and what I got back was a complete axle set. New axles, new CV joints, new end pieces that fit in the spindle and center section. All new rubber boots installed, everything was done ready to snap them in. When I said that George might be having the axles shortened I meant that he might have done the same thing I did or turn in donor axles and got back the new shorter ones.

I think the axle swap for everything new from Forte was around $450. At the time I was much more interested in just having something ready to install instead of finding everything that I needed to replace CV joints myself. My build seems like it is just dragging after 2 years and I was and am still willing to pay a few extra bucks to save some time here and there. Plus it's all new parts, no donor clean up. :D

Mike M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts