Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a stupid question and I should know better - but is there a stock oil temp sender on a 4.6L modular motor, or do I need to hook one into the oil filter relocation block?

I must confess I can't even find the oil pressure switch. I need a manual on this motor.

·
Master of my Build
2,032 Posts
I have a terminator motor, but should be the same. The oil temp comes out of the pan. I have the canton pan from North Race cars which had an extra bung for it. North Racecars Oil Pans

if you need a place for the oil pressure, there is a bung on the oil filter housing. Happy to send pics if needed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris - I have an oil filter relocation kit and an aftermarket pan, so that's maybe why I can't find it anywhere. I have an oil pressure gauge so there must be a sensor somewhere - can't be that hard to find. I was hoping there was an oil temp plug somewhere on the block.

Next time I put the car up on jackstands I'll go looking around the pan to see if there's a bung welded on somewhere I can use.

·
Master of my Build
2,032 Posts
Not sure on the factory location for oil temp. I don't think there is one as no one seems to mention it anywhere or use it. My dash didn't have a gauge either.

Here is a solution for oil pressure, adding an adapter between the filter and the relocation kit. Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter - 20mm 1.5 Thread guessing you could put a tee in and use both temp and pressure. If you have an aftermarket pan, it should have an extra bung. Worst case you put the temp sensor in the drain plug and just remove wire and senor when you do an oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure on the factory location for oil temp. I don't think there is one as no one seems to mention it anywhere or use it. My dash didn't have a gauge either.

Here is a solution for oil pressure, adding an adapter between the filter and the relocation kit. Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter - 20mm 1.5 Thread guessing you could put a tee in and use both temp and pressure. If you have an aftermarket pan, it should have an extra bung. Worst case you put the temp sensor in the drain plug and just remove wire and senor when you do an oil change.
I put a oil temp sender in the side of the oil pan where the oil coolant sensor is. I replaced it with a 20mm x 1.5 drain plug form NAPA. I had to put an o-ring grove in the plug so it would seal and not leak. Used a metal lathe to grove the underside of the plug. Drilled a center hole with a number R drill bit and taped it with a 1/8 pipe thread and installed the temp sensor. Was not to difficult, only place I could think of putting it. Jeff K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts