Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how everyone washes their Cobra. Something I've often wondered about with roadsters, and something I've been wondering about lately, since I haven't got the top reinstalled on my Belvedere...

Just rinse carefully with a garden hose?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been on the road for about 4 years. I haven't washed the body since before it was installed in the chassis.I use a spray, dry wash type, solution that I get from a local supplier called Art's Waterless. The stuff works great, I get constant comments on how great the paint looks! Arts Waterless # is 916-955-5720 if you are interested.

·
15,282 Posts
I also use a lot of the quick-detailer, waterless type stuff. However, after a long trip, that's just not enough. Then I just bucket-wash the car like I would any other. Sure, you have to be kind of careful about water running into the cockpit, but the nose and wheel areas (the dirtiest) are pretty easy to clean up. I just use high-quality car wash soap and 100% cotton towels to dry. After about 2 years and roughly 6700 miles, I've got stone chips in the paint from road use, but the car otherwise looks great.

Cheers, John

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I use a fluffy mitt, almost wrung dry. Then a chamois. Pete

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Bucket wash it, hose it off and use a silicon squeegee and towels to dry it off. I put a couple of towels behind the seats to catch the runoff from the rear fenders and cover the cockpit with one of Phil Deals tonneau covers. Between washes I use quick detailer to keep it looking good.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Use regular bucket and hose. Just always spray away from the cockpit. :D Water will run down behind the seats off the rear deck, but not too much if you are careful. Then I use a chamis to dry it off. I have also been using the MR Clean Spot free dry sprayer. It removes the hard waters pots that usually come after it starts to dry. I just put the Zaino treatment on this last winter so I will see if it helps repel some of the dust and lighter stuff this summer.

Jim

·
2,990 Posts
Closer9

Not a stupid question. There are many new builders including me that have the same question. Lots of good ideas here. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Very Carefully!
Sneak up from behind, grab them around the neck. Have someone hold the tail, stretch them out, the rest is easy.
Just be ready when you put it down, they'll be really pi$$ed!! :D

Cheers!

·
2,990 Posts
Doug,

Good point especially if the guy in the drivers seat is on the gas when you have your hand on the drivers door cleaning the rear quarter panel.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Hey guys, a simple method i use. take two inch masking tape and run it around cockpit so half of it is sticking above body. takes a couple minutes. and works as a water damn. just carefully rinse off,and no water gets inside. just pull off tape and go. Just my 2 cents.....Jim

·
FFCobra Owner
865 Posts
C 9.........
I have talked to many guys and have come up with this system and it keeps it nice, clean, and no time at all!! also, I talked to my painter, Jeff (Bat) Miller, and he gave me the tip..
I ordered the Zaino system. Now, they have many products, and though all may be good, I picked up the Z 2, which is their show polish, Z 5, which is the same, but with additive that fills in some swirls...and the big one...Z 6! that is the one you want the most! It is the same as Quik Detailer, but the Z products have NO SLILCONE! That is important, as it does not build up, and is so easy to apply, it takes me about 20 minutes to do the whole car, and it takes the place of washing , if you stay on it often. check out their site...and you will like it. the have more products, but I have done well with these, and they are easy on the paint!
fred z :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Bucket of soapy water, and plenty of running water. Some water gets in the cockpit. No big deal. It will dry.

I generally avoid waterless products. The running water rinses away a lot of the "big" stuff before you can rub it into the paint.

For polish, I use Kit, with carnuba wax. Recommended by my painter.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Thanks Rob, needed that image in my head... :rolleyes: Now its stuck there an it hurts.

Thanks Closer9 for asking; have been wondering myself.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
2,055 Posts
The California microfiber (or paraffin coated cotton) Dusters work well for dusting purposes if the car has sat uncovered or been driven in somewhat dusty conditions. A light touch with the duster followed by a spray detailing (I use a lot of Griot's Garage products) seems to work well. If it needs a more complete washing I, too, am a bucket washer.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
A recent article in Hot Rod Magazine recommends using the "Two Bucket Method". One with a quality car wash solution and one with clear water. You rinse your mit or sponge in the clear bucket between each soapy wash use. This will reduce fine scratches due to retained grit.
Art

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
I wonder if a product like I used on my motorcycles would work well. Something like Honda-vrite (I think that was it) is an aerosol spray that dissolves bug guts etc. and leaves a great shine with no water. Kind of the rub-it-on spray waxes but better quality. Even the painted plastic on the bike looked like wet paint. Never came across anything that stuff wouldn't take off. Just an idea. I';m gona try it...Im sure its just the "bike:version of some car products that have ben mentioned but I have already confirmed good personal experiences with it if anyone is interested.

Link....easy to find at any bike dealership

Pro Honda Polish

1 - 20 of 31 Posts