Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some research on the forums here, it looks like if I have a carb'd engine (stock 302) that I am building up, that I can just plug the distributor willy nilly - I just need to make sure that however it lines up, the right wires are routed to the right plugs ? Anything else I am missing in this - it can't actually be that simple, can it ?
BTW - I have the right gear on the distributor, so the parts aren't a problem - just want to make sure I put it in right...

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Thats it. As long as it wired right. I still like to point the rotor to the back left (drivers side) of the engine just so I remember it for a reference point since thats where its at from the factory.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
This process can be a bit complicated. I recommend that you get a rebuild manual that describes the process. The firing order determines the placement of the plug wires so reference to the #1 cylinder in relation to the crank rotation is critical. Perhaps you can get some help from someone on the forum that lives near you to assist in your motor start up. Cam timing is also part of this picture so check everything related before you try to start your motor.
HTH CB

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,740 Posts
Yes it is fairly simple but you do have choices.lets assume you have the wires in the cap in fireing order. So you drop the dist in and play w/ the gear engagement til the rotor points to no 1 plug wire.then fine tuning is needed to get the timing right.Ok it runs and timing is right.but where is the vac advance unit-can you get the hose to it conveniently?-is it covering the lockdown bolt? If either is a problem then you can move the wires around the cap,pull the dist up and realign the gear so the rotor points to the new position of the wires.See what i mean?

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
I used a MSD on my carb setup. Was very easy. Made sure #1 was TDC and just dropped it in. Then just made #1 on the cap the location the rotor was pointing to. Then ran the wires, counter-clockwise 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.