Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
New
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com
Has anyone tried these? I stumbled on them last night. Quick search didn't turn up anything on here, but it seems that the Corvette guys with sidepipes are swearing by them. I found several accounts of guys with monster big blocks claiming that these uncorked in the neighborhood of 100hp in their cars. Before I get flamed for that, I'm not saying these made 100 hp. It sounded like whatever they were using before these was robbing 100hp. Something about reverse flow inserts. Anyway, a few clips I found on Youtube sounded pretty promising...
Probably the best sounding C5 I have heard.

They are a bit on the pricey side for inserts, but I am still intrigued. If these would go in the j-pipe it would make for a very easy mod...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the STS baffles in my 69 Corvette, and they a) sound very good and b) are the least restrictive muffler I found for sidepipes and c) tuneable by welding more spirals on there and uncapping the end.

I am building the sidepipes for my 408 Windsor to use a 4" sidetube so I can use the STS baffles. I went this route basically because I didnt like the 1 piece look of the J-pipe design and I didnt see a way of getting the muffler in there.

Nick

·
New
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Craig. I hadn't seen that thread before. Sounds like the Summit augers worked out well. Definitely cheaper too.
Nick, did you look into any of the other similar auger style inserts before going with the STS's? Just trying to get a handle on why these are so much more expensive. Something to the tuning of the spiral angles maybe? Little exhaust pulse voodoo. Oh and we're gonna have to see some pics of that 69 now too :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
There was a whole thread on one of the big Corvette forum's a few years back about how restrcitive the stock Hooker inserts are in their classic sidepipes.
A friend of mine has a 502 big block in his 69 and he took his car to the dyno and did a number of pulls with various mufflers and the STS won out (the Hooker stock reverse flow insert was causing that much back pressure on one run it blew the tube off of the header)
Anyway the main reason I went with the STS version is that they come in 4" diameter, which the majority of other's don't and the STS one's come in 24" length (I think it was 24"..I just know they are longer than the auger mufflers from Summit or Speedway Motors)

If it where me I would get 4 of the inserts..weld then together in pairs and see how they sound (1 pair in each side). If you want louder you can a) drill out the cap at the front of the tube or b) start chopping of a spral at a time, and if you dont like it, you can simply weld it back on! Theres no packing to destroy.
I settled on the full length with the cap drilled out.
I was at the new road course track in Davenport NY in October and it sounded pretty damn good going around there..especially as your way up on a hill!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.