Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Striptease--Oil pan clearance

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  britpit 
#1 ·
I'm trying to install a Ford crate Z363 (Boss 302 block) into #333. I bought the engine with rear sump oil pan on advice of others who said it was an imperative. I still have clearance problems on the front; the oil pan hits the round tubing braces that run diagonally across in front of the engine--not by much but it still hits them. FF says replace the oil pan; I would be glad to but Ford says they don't make anything and the present configuration is necessary for oil pump clearance. Jegs sells a Milodon but it's only .45" shallower and that not enough. So far I can't find an oil pan to buy. Has anybody figured out a way to fix this problem?

#2 ·
I had the same problem at first, but I found out the engine and transmission was at the wrong angle. The transmission has a spacer between the mount and the cross member. I didn't have the spacer and my oil pan hit the front bar. I corrected the angle and made a solid spacer (not the tubing with the kit), and this fixed my problem.

#3 ·
I hear you but I wish it were that simple. I understand about the spacer at the mount on the rear of the tranny. I have adjusted the engine/tranny angle as low as the rear of the tranny will go (the drive shaft u-joint comes to rest on the frame) to as high as it will go (the top of the bellhousing hits the firewall) No dice. What kind of engine/oil pan are you using?

#5 ·
Just looked at my installation with a "standard" 5.0 block and Caton 7-quart rear sump oil pan. The diagonal braces are clearly an inch or so in front of the pan and the pan drops down easily between them.

I think that for some reason your engine is too far forward - I would tend to believe that your engine mounts are on the wrong sides - either with the chassis mounts or the motor mounts on the engine. Perhaps, too, you have the mod motor chassis mounts.

Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.