Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Stripping POR 15 to reveal serial number

659 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bucketlist 
#1 ·
When I painted my frame with POR 15, I happily painted over the serial number. I am pretty sure they will want to verify this number against my certificate of origin when I am eventually ready to register the car. So how should I go about revealing that serial number without damaging the stamp?

I was thinking about a wire wheel, but I am still thinking that could damage the serial number since it is stamped so lightly.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess I didn't slop the paint on too thick because I was able to make it out. I did a light brush with sand paper and it stands out even more.

#2 ·
Sounds like you have got your solution. If you keep sanding to bare metal, you will have the POR still in the stamp indentation and the numbers will be very clear. Leave it that way through the inspections that you need, then paint it up to avoid rust. Or paint it with clear so that it stays very visible. Before you sand it down to bare metal, tape off the rest and clean and neatly done area.

Good luck
Steve

#3 ·
Thanks, those are some great suggestions. I wouldn't have thought about taping while sanding.

Inspection is certainly a long ways off, but I finally found my certificate of origin! I just wanted to verify the numbers and make sure I wouldn't have any future issues.

#4 ·
make sure to check the vin #

i purchased a (completed in 2009 and titled) FFR roadster III in september 2012, thought nothing of checking the vin, well seems FFR stamped it incorrectally!
the frame had FFR, the certificate of origin had F5R, what a mess to correct!
FFR was very helpful and so was the original owner/builder, so just check it very careful, NJ DMV caught it because they ask for a VIN rub/picture as part of the title processing which in it self has taken over 8 weeks! but all is good going for inspection Dec 4,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.