Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to use the vinyl Lemans stripes as opposed to painting them on?? I know that's probably cheating or cheesy. I believe it's what they do out of the factory on production cars and it looks decent plus probably a lot easier. My son is doing the painting at his Tech High School and I thought it might make it a little easier if he didn't have to fight with the stripes!!
Thanx:

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
I would think that you would have a hard time getting the tape to stick around the lower oil cooler opening; other than that it might work.

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
When i did my last car i confronted this. A friend of a friend who ran a sign business and a laser cutting vinyl shop said he could do it no problem, i painted the car myself and wasnt considering it but he made it sound like no problem. Some of those guys are pretty awesome at it so maybe its an option. I believe he said like 250--350 if i remember right. Painting them on was cheaper so i went that route.

I did use vinyl for my fender hashmarks so they werent permanent.

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: Mort ]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think painting on the stripes would be easier than vinyl. When painting on the stripes, you layout the stripes with masking tape. Once laid out, you can step back, take a look and be sure everything lines up. If there is a problem, you just pull the masking tape and fix the layout. With vinyl, you have to be extremely careful to get it right the first time, because you don’t get a second chance. Also, it very easy to end up with air bubbles when applying vinyl.

Galt

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: NASCAR ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts