Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can make a spec streetable, but Has anyone built a spec racer that converts between street use and track use (For the NASA series) ? You'd need the full winshield and wipers, and be able to remove them and replace with the competition windscreen. Has anyone done this without running into problems?

Thanks,
Brendan

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
In some/most regions the spec race is legal with a windscreen. We have a customer with a spec car on the street, no problem. Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Peter Dove here in Houston has done this with his car very successfully! It is a beautiful car that is both street legal and competitive on the track. I plan on doing the same with my car that we are building right now.

Regards,

Terry
FFR 3646SP

·
Registered
628 Posts
Brendan,

You could always run the spec series with the full winshield. I'm sure a quick method of removal and replacement of the winshield can be designed.

Hank
FFR 1776-II

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Originally posted by Hank Dondero:
You could always run the spec series with the full winshield. I'm sure a quick method of removal and replacement of the winshield can be designed.
Actually you can't run with the full windshield (it adds downforce). As a practical matter you probably wouldn't want to since it traps heat - and you put out a lot when you are racing. Hint: I wear the fire suit because it protects me from the heat of the car when racing!) It also adds drag. I did a little track time with the windshield and clearly liked running without it better.

My spec racer is street legal under the vintage rules. In fact, I run it with the short windshield on the street (always wear goggles) unless I have a passenger. The FFR Certificate of Origin says it is an 1965 car and Virginia gave me an antique plate - meaning we don't need horn, wipers, or annual inspection.

When I have a passenger in the car we put the regular windshield on the car. There are small holes in the top of the body where the regular windshield goes on and then gets attached underneath with bolts. It takes about 20 minutes with 2 people - a bit longer with one. Factory Five has all the details and the windshield was about $700 more.

Putting the full side windshield on requires that you take the small windshield off. You can drill out the pop rivets, but we found little aircraft screws with sleeves made from nylon. It makes that aspect completely painless. (BTW, we also switched from pop rivets on the air dam to nylon screws.)

You will also need turn signals and lights. Those are pretty easy to do. We have a toggle switch for the turn signals. Not elegant, but it works.

The street aspect was one of the reasons why I selected the spec racer. I get a big kick out of being able to go to an SCCA race, play with the big boys in GT-1, and drive to the hotel!

Let me know what else you need to know about it. I can post pics of anything in particular that you want to see.

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone. As of now, I just wanted to make sure that it was possible, I'm sure I'll revisit this again during the build. I'm aiming to be ready to go by next season.

Brendan

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Danelam, In the New England series with COM next year we are making an exception to the windshield rule for 2003. Seeing we are running Time Trials instead of bumper to bumper we have decided that by allowing windshields to be used that it will eliminate the need to trailer your car to the track. In New England, even in New Hampshire, you must (I found out last Friday) have a windshield that completely covers BOTH the deriver's and passenger's head. I know, cause I was trying to register my spec car with the comp windscreen. The Department of Safety officer was quite adamant about it. But that is the ONLY exception we are making to NASA rules!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.