Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked on the prototype for our Street Airdamn and got it finished today. It is made with 1/4" conveyor belt material so that it is more street freindly than a solid unit. The frame is made from 3/4" square tubing. It has 1/8" steel brackets that attach to the lower quickjack mount downtubes. These brackets allow the airdamn to be mounted in a multitude of positions. Here are a few shots more can be seen here . The pictures on the website show the bracket made from aluminum as the mock ups. I will have pricing after I find out how much the brackets will cost to have cut.

Thanks,
Chris

[ February 24, 2007, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: DarkWaterCustoms ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
That really looks good! The framework is impressive too. Not second guessing you but does the frame have to be that heavy? My concern is that if I did drive over a speed bump and hit the dam, all of that rigid mass would be forced up and bend my frame tubes where it's mounted.

·
1,672 Posts
Yes - Yes an excellent solution - is it the same size as the FFR aluminum one ? If so then it is race legal without being charged an aerodynamic penalty.

From NASA ST rules

Factory Five Roadster (if aero mods, wing, or splitter-0.5 modification factor. Note: no modification factor for FF Racing “standard front air dam” or exact replica in another material)

If it is the same size then every racer should want one. I have the home made version your is much nicer.

Charlie

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
I like it! Nice job! Maybe an Aluminum tube frame option or Aluminum angle stock frame instead of tube?

·
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not second guessing you but does the frame have to be that heavy?
No, but its not that heavy in weight and its structurely sound. If its going to hold up to speeds of 150+ I want to know I don't have to worry about it.

Maybe an Aluminum tube frame option or Aluminum angle stock frame instead of tube?
I used 3/4" square because it makes production easier than useing aluminum or angle stock.

Yes - Yes an excellent solution - is it the same size as the FFR aluminum one ?
The size of the airdamn is 1" wider than the FFR one on either side. It also does not have the rounded corners that the FFR one does. It can be trimed though to the exact same size of the FFR one.

My concern is that if I did drive over a speed bump and hit the dam, all of that rigid mass would be forced up and bend my frame tubes where it's mounted.
As you can see in the picture below the frame does not go lower than the body. So if the bottom of the airdamn hits something it just folds back. If you contact the frame of the airdamn with something and bend the frame tubes you have also taken out the body. But anything can happen

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for pointing out those features on the frame (higher than body plus the idea of 150 mph goal). It is a great looking air dam and in flat black rubber, you hardly notice it and it doesn't take away from the body shape. Another great product.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Nice job Chris. How are you attaching the conveyer belt material to the framework?
Baron

·
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The frame has an upper tube on either side. The belt is attached to it with 3/16" rivets. I will get a picture of it tomorrow and post it. I thought I might have to rivet it to the lower tube also but it is rigid enough I don't think I will.

·
Junior Charter Member
88 Posts
Great job! Sounds like you really thought the details. How long till there available and how much?

·
Non-Traditionalist (I'm not a purist, just look at
3,008 Posts
I love it when vendors on the wonderful forum listen to and respond to the needs/ desires of forum members. :D

Thanks so much for making this up! You've launch a great business and are producing wonderful products.

Cheers

--Mirko

·
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am thinking availability will be in 3-4 weeks. I have to wait on a price to cut the brackets before I can price the unit.

Chris

·
Charter Member
1,239 Posts
Chris: Perfect - can't wait until they're available. I was starting to get an itch to buy something else from DWC.

tim

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
This is fantastic Chris. Great job and I must compliment you on listening and taking improvements and ideas from the forum and turning them into well thought out products for us.

Wait, I already have a $150 modification from the forum for Feb 2007. Damn Chris, you have already filled my March slot. The curse of the forum strikes again!!!

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Id destroy it first drive.

The speed bumps I can avoid. The dips in the road I cannot always aviod.

The bottom of my oil cooler scoop is scraped like no other.

Im making my own from the FFR dam. I'll probably cut a few inches from the bottom and use plastic or rubber of sorts to make up the difference.

This way It can bend if it has to and still be fairly rigid.

I doubt mine will look/work half as good as that one. But my roads don't lend themselves to a rigid frame.

·
1,672 Posts
The conveyor belt dams work and hold up well.

This is one of the first ones I know of and has over 6k street miles with 3.5" ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
DWC,
Can you sell just the frame? I have access to all the belting I ever need and I want to experiment a little with various configurations of the rubber sheet.
One of the things I'd like to try is slitting the dam in several places to prevent the entire dam from folding back if it catches.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
you're on a roll...looks good

·
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted to clairify something. Is the 3/4" sqaure tube frame needed? No it is not needed but it make production easy. I am trying to make products that are usefull, well designed and relatively inexpensive to bring to market. I could make it out of aluminum but then pricing would include the cost of the skill needed to weld aluminum. So yes the 3/4" is overkill for the application but it cuts labor down on production.

Chris

[ February 24, 2007, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: DarkWaterCustoms ]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts