Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I have been waiting a long time to build a car and I have officially purchased a 33 Hot Rod V2. This is my first build, but I am going to try to keep the build quality as high as possible (within reason) while building mostly on my own….but with the help of you guys and some friends when needed... in my own garage. I plan on doing most of the body work and possibly final paint, but we will see. I know when to farm it out if needed. However, I would really like to learn that side of it.

The car I am building consist of a Coupe Top, Extra Clearance Hood & Sides, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, Chrome Steering Wheel, A/C Heat, Leather Bench Seat, 4 link Moser, Power Steering, 4L65e Trans and an LS Engine which I have already rebuilt.

The kicker in all this is that I am vlogging the whole thing on my Street Rod Jim YouTube channel. Unlike other channels, I will be going through the whole process as much as possible, so people get a real idea of what it takes to do any of these FFR builds. I am also posting a lot of research, cost analysis, the engine build, how to find an engine, my experience at the factory five build school etc… I will update build cost and such as I go since it will be an ongoing weekly vlog. I hope this vlog/build brings much information to the community and onlookers wanting to get into the community in a different format than normal. I am a visual person myself, so I know there are others that will benefit from this type of format.

I have already posted all my research and such. (Even some C5 corvette videos which will interest the GTM followers) Now that I am actually ready to build the 33 Hot Rod, I am finally starting my official build thread. I am super excited and know that I will bang my head against the wall a few times. But whatever happens, it will be caught on camera. LOL!

Street Rod Jim Channel: http://bit.ly/32V8G0a

Thanks to the Factory Five team for all their help.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inventory was pretty crazy. Took a whole week before and after work.

I also had some help removing the body off the car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey!! Cool stuff, but might be useful to number the video clips in chronological order... makes it easier to keep track of what I watched....

Good luck with the build

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey man, I get that you are trying to film a video series how to, but I think you are overlooking one of your best sources for technical info...namely this (and the other FF forum). There are any number of people here that can give you specific recommendations for paint/bodywork products and techniques. You will get a number of different opinions but I would suggest finding one guy you like and following his system from start to finish. The automotive paint store may (or may not) have some knowledgeable people there but they are really geared to work with the professional trades.
One other thing I would highly recommend - is get the firewall mounted and then get the body fitted first, doors hung, trimmed etc. before doing all the mechanical stuff, wiring, interior, etc. It's very messy and it helps to be able to get the body on and off numerous times while fitting everything. It also gives you a good overview of how/where a number of pieces will need to go together and help prevent having to remove / re do stuff. Good luck!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
I also appreciate the effort to video the build. Just take your time and do your research first.

Others have tried this and unless you are very well researched or have built one before, you end up injecting errors in the video and do more harm for the novice builder than helping.

The last one I saw was done by someone who was obviously not all that experienced in building and passed on some bad ideas, in addition to being rather crude in presentation. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey!! Cool stuff, but might be useful to number the video clips in chronological order... makes it easier to keep track of what I watched....

Good luck with the build
Hello. These are posted in order. You might have to change the order of your forum layout to view from first post to last post. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey man, I get that you are trying to film a video series how to, but I think you are overlooking one of your best sources for technical info...namely this (and the other FF forum). There are any number of people here that can give you specific recommendations for paint/bodywork products and techniques. You will get a number of different opinions but I would suggest finding one guy you like and following his system from start to finish. The automotive paint store may (or may not) have some knowledgeable people there but they are really geared to work with the professional trades.
One other thing I would highly recommend - is get the firewall mounted and then get the body fitted first, doors hung, trimmed etc. before doing all the mechanical stuff, wiring, interior, etc. It's very messy and it helps to be able to get the body on and off numerous times while fitting everything. It also gives you a good overview of how/where a number of pieces will need to go together and help prevent having to remove / re do stuff. Good luck!
Hello, Not overlooking anything. I am on multiple forums and have friends who have build these and won awards. However, I am weekly vlogging a realistic journey of building this car. It is not a tutorial per say, even though you can gather how to do stuff from it and I will give tips to other people.

I originally wanted to do the body first before everything, but was highly persuaded not too. Being my first build, I somewhat agree not too.. There is so many things that rely on other things being done, it is really easy to paint yourself in a corner. But once I have put a decent amount of stuff on the car, I will flip into body mode. It is all a balance. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also appreciate the effort to video the build. Just take your time and do your research first.

Others have tried this and unless you are very well researched or have built one before, you end up injecting errors in the video and do more harm for the novice builder than helping.

The last one I saw was done by someone who was obviously not all that experienced in building and passed on some bad ideas, in addition to being rather crude in presentation. Just my opinion.
Hi Tim,

I know what you are talking about and agree 100%. I already have 1000+ hours of research in before purchasing the car. However, this will be a realistic journey of building a car with a lot of cool things shown and talked about. There will be ups and down but no negativity or crudeness. Not my style! Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the differential has not been my friend. Fitment issues, manual discrepancies, modifications....

Marking Panels and Differential Install

Upper Control Arm Modification

Manual Discrepancy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Color selection by far the hardest for me to envision. For whatever reason, I have to see it before I can fully take it in. Being a big part of the build, I spent some time and finally picked my colors out.

Paint Color Selection

Paint Preparation

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drilling all the panels has been a process. A long process. However, I feel like I am moving forward.

Marking and Drilling panels

Cleaning Up The Firewall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the manual mentions that there is a few parts to paint, but in really there is a load of parts that need something on them. I will be prepping to try to spray at home.

Sanding Parts For Grey Primer

Prepping For Spray Paint

·
Registered
359 Posts
Would a small sand blaster not have helped? May be to rent? and may be wearing gloves help avoiding skin acid prints on the newly cleaned part?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would a small sand blaster not have helped? May be to rent? and may be wearing gloves help avoiding skin acid prints on the newly cleaned part?
I looked into it and it was a few hundred dollars which at the time I did not think was worth it. (just adding to the budget). Gloves was not needed since there was so much dust on my hands anyways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts