Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having about 15 miles on my car around the neighboorhood I have a strange vibration noise I can feel in the wheel in turns. I have Cobra brakes all around. Is it possible they are tight and making noise while turning? I also am toed out quite a bit as I have not been for an alignment yet. Would bad toe out cause noise?

Thanks!

Ted

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW...My ride height is OK and it is not wheel rub. It is definitely metal somewhere.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What kind of noise is it? Clunk? Clank? Thrum? Clink? Grumble? Squeak? Buzz? Is it at wheel rotation frequency? Drive shaft frequency? Does it occur in both turning directions or only one? Does it occur with any amount of turn or only a lot? Does it go away if you disengage the clutch? Are the lug nuts tight? Do you have limited slip? What kind? That should get us started.

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, in any turn any speed. All is tight. It is a constant vibration that is audible through the turn.

Clutch has no effect. I con go through a turn coasting or under power and it still does it. It is consistant meaning it does it every time.

It is like a humming vibration that you can feel and hear.

Ideas?

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, yes I have limited slip as well wit Mobil 1 oil and additive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So far, it sounds like tire noise. Is the noise kind of like what you hear from a pick up with off road tires? Is the intensity independent of degree of turn? Does it do it to a lesser degree when going straight or not at all? Does the frequency change with roadspeed? If it's tire noise, you amy want to get your alignment improved before you feather the edges of the tires too badly.Any quiet place you could coast with engine off and just listen? A hill would be good, but I'm not sure where you are in AZ.

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty flat roads around here (Phoenix). I was just wondering if because the alignment is way off that it could be trying to pull the car is 2 directions in a turn. No noise at all going straight. It is like that pickup tire noise, only you can feel it in the chassis all over. Frequency does go to a higher pitched level going faster.

I do know that my passenger rear brake makes the same noise when pushing the car, only not as prominent. That is why I thought it to be something brake related. I really need someone to ride I suppose so that they can listen while I drive it.

Thanks for input. Any initial ideas?

Ted

·
Registered
156 Posts
Too much toe-out as you noted in the first post. See if you can pull it in a bit since you are going to have to do it sooner or later. Could also be camber. Riding on the inside edges of the tires.

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thanks...will do.

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds very similiar. When you find out what your problem is would you post it? We may have the same problem.

Mine makes noise at any speed in any turn (left or right).

Thanks Joe!

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Ted, I see you have a 3-link with Cobra brakes...same as mine. What axles and caliper brackets are you running? How did you set your pinion angle?

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
Check to see if you are rubbing on your wheel well aluminum at full lock.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here's another thought. If this is a tire problem, you might try putting some sripes of contrasting paint, shoepolish or the like across the treads. Drive around the block and see how the paint wears off. In a perfect world, it would wear evenly across the tread. In the real world, it may be different.

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have ranger axles and caliper brackets are from disk-brakes-r-us. They center the brakes perfectly.

Pinion angle I eyeballed for now.

The noise is at slight turns where I would not be anywhere near the aluminum. Good thought though.

I KNOW my alignment is really off....but would that cause brakes to vibrate the whole car?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Ok - maybe way off ...

Rubbing noise, passenger side ... I could only hear it on very quiet slow turns - was the inside of the wheel rubbing on the braided stainless brake hose.....

I repositioned the S bend of the hose and the noise is gone.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
156 Posts
If it's a brake problem, you should be able to make it come and go by applying the brakes when the noise is present. If it's brakes, the noise would , most likely, improve when you apply the brakes. Maybe not, but it should change.Usually, brake noise is one noise cycle per wheel rev and tends toward the dry grating end of the noise spectrum. I think what you've descibed so far is a more "rubbery", higher frequency sound. At least that's what I think I read earlier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.