Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivng along today and noticed the trip odometer is at 145 and the speedometer mileage is 245.
Now I know I wasn't paying too much attention but I didn't drive an extra 100 miles.
I guess the speedo went to 2 when it should have counted 1 instead. I wonder if it will turn two again next time and give me an extra 100 again.

Anybody else run into this?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
What brand gauge?

Frank n Sons.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank ,
I have the autometer gauges.

·
Junior Charter Member
287 Posts
I can think of a couple times where I have taken the car out to run a quick errand and by the time I arrived home, I had put on over 100 miles. Could it be that you were having too much fun and didn't even realize how far you went?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
David, the reason I ask is that the trip odometer on my Autometer Speedo gauge (ultralites) skipped numbers for a while and no longer is capable of being zero'd. Coincidence, I think not. Manufacturer, I think so.

Frank n Sons.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna wait and see if it happens again. I have always let the trip odometers match up with the other. Don't know why but I'm just not much of a trip or mileage checker. But, I would like for the gauges to be accurate.

·
4,494 Posts
This issue is usually that when you zeroed the trip odometer it didn't zero correctly. What sometimes happens to me is that the 100's number was either above or below the zero by a tooth. It looks almost like it aligns with the other two zeros, but it isn't. Sometimes you need to turn the numbers around twice to insure they are all in alignment.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
DavidH,

The trip odometer is a good way to tell when you need fuel. I find it a little more accurate than the fuel gauge.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts