Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, see my other thread about needing a valve for the AC on my truck.

Anyway, when I get back from the trip to the store, I couldn't find the 8" adjustable I had used to take the dust caps off the schrader valves. After searching all over the garage, the only conclusion I could come to is I left it on the little shelf on top of the radiator under the hood and probably lost it on the road somewhere.

Well, when I was all done charging up the truck and cleaning up, lo and behold it was sitting on my back bumper. Why I ever laid it there is beyond me. And beyond that how the heck did I drive to AutoZone and back (Maybe 6 or 8 miles most of which are highway) without it falling off????

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I left a tall plastic cup (half full) on the Bumper of my '98 Suburban. Six miles into town. I discovered it when I came out of Home Depot. I always joked that, that thing drove like a Lincoln.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,704 Posts
Can't tell you how many tools my tool box gained back in the days when I worked on cars for a living. Quite a few wrenches left in odd places under cars, even a couple of box ends left on brake lines. Not sure what the thought process (or lack of) was behind those. It is amazing how some of them stayed put where they were, some for an obvious very long time.

·
Cross Menber
62 Posts
As a kid, 14 to 17, I made extra money doing little automotive jobs for neighbors and relatives.
After a busy week, I was missing my 1/2" and 9/16" box end wrench.

Fast forward a couple years, and I found it on the bolt to adjust the clutch when the same car
came back in for more work.

It was a good lesson to learn, watch where you leave your tools!
40 years ago, that was a lot of money to a teenager.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a kid, 14 to 17, I made extra money doing little automotive jobs for neighbors and relatives.
After a busy week, I was missing my 1/2" and 9/16" box end wrench.

Fast forward a couple years, and I found it on the bolt to adjust the clutch when the same car
came back in for more work.

It was a good lesson to learn, watch where you leave your tools!
40 years ago, that was a lot of money to a teenager.
Yeah and back then, it seemed like just about every nut or bolt on a car needed that size wrench.

·
Cross Menber
62 Posts
Yeah and back then, it seemed like just about every nut or bolt on a car needed that size wrench.
Just like the #10 wrenches now days.

I swear there must be a stack of #10 sockets somewhere,

Maybe they will find them if they storm area 51:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
My dad bought a new 1956 Pontiac, and there was a really nasty clunk in the left front area. Dealer inspected it several times, and found nothing wrong. Then, after some discussions, the dealer took out the LF inner fender liner, and found a 1/2 inch impact gun, flopping around, that must have been "installed" at the factory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts