Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased two bike ceiling hoist to store my body suspended from the ceiling. I've found two threads where members mention suspending the body form the ceiling to store until needed.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249098
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188721

I'm looking for information and hopefully pictures on precautions, hoist spacing, preparation, what can be used to attach the hooks/cables to the body and any information one might think should be mentioned. If you've done this or just know how to please post your data.

Basically I'm looking for a "how to" on using two bike ceiling hiost to store the GTM body from the ceiling.

R/s
:eek:fficer3: Vidal

·
Registered
415 Posts
Vidal,

I did the same thing just 3 weeks ago, but with some small line sailing hardware. I used two 2x4's (one through the door opening, one through the rear wheel well) to attach to the lines and support the body. Also used 4 1/4" screw hooks to screw into my ceiling joists. I'm headed out the door now, but I'll post some pics and spacings later this evening.

I also laid the nose section upside down on the rear body, and hoisted them together as one unit.

-Michael

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Vidal, I took some measurements of the body before I pulled it of the chassis, then cut a 2x2 for the width between the bottom of the door frame, used a telescopic closet rod to keep the spacing at front of the windshield where the body structure is pretty thin, and used another piece of 2x2 with kayak float bags on it to support the rear. My hoists are on the rafters at 24" apart, and directly over the closet rod and the rear 2x2. Once I had it up to the ceiling, I added 2 Thule straps front to rear from each pulley assembly down under the center 2x2 so I could distribute more of the weight to that one.
I'm sure it's hard to picture by description, I will snap some photos and take some measurements shortly.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chad,
Perfect! I was concerned about support and not harming/deforming the body.

Michael,
When you get a chance, I'd really like to see some pics of your setup. Thanks.

R/s
:eek:fficer3: Vidal

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
I've had mine outside under my deck since I had it. The entire body is gelcoat, so it won't hurt it. Really it helps it to sit in the sun and cure if irs a fairly newer mold.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Vidal,

Here are the pics I promised. I have four hooks in the ceiling that hold two 2x4's. Each pair of hooks holding a single 2x4 are 8' apart (24" joist spacing, and 6' just isn't enough). The 2x4's are spaced about 53" apart (approximate distance from center of rear wheel well to front of door opening). The hooks supporting the rear of the body are 36" out from the wall. That gives me about 3-4" clearance between the body rear and wall. And as you can see, the nose is resting upside down on the rear hatch area. Hope these help.

When does your baby arrive?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
I built the body buck and let the body sit on it with a Corvette C6 Noah Car Cover. The cover seems to have protected it pretty well. It's just a little dusty.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I built the body buck and let the body sit on it with a Corvette C6 Noah Car Cover. The cover seems to have protected it pretty well. It's just a little dusty.
Stig,
How well did that cover fit?

R/s
Vidal

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Stig,
How well did that cover fit?

R/s
Vidal
It's a little "baggy"... If you decide to do this, you'll want to tape the Windshield and Rear Hatch Glass in place. Otherwise, you'll be dumping water out of the openings everytime it rains. (In Kissimmee, that would be every day @ 4:00 pm or so...)

But it's working for me.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts