Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where you can get "universal" storage compartments with latching door? Something that could be put between/behind the seats.

Thanks!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I don't know of any but if you can build a car, you can build the box!

Here's mine. I don't know if this is to your liking. I made it out of an aluminum electrical panel box. I put a slant on the box so it looked more like part of the tunnel and less like a box. The lid is made out of 1/4" plywood with an aluminum liner. The whole thing is covered with carpet and held in place with 4 sheet metal screws to the tunnel aluminum. When I'm out somewhere, I throw the seat belts over it and it looks invisible. Detail: I made the lid about 1" deeper in the back and hinged it 1" forward so the lid sits flush to the back wall. Also, I did a mild radius on the front edge to eliminate the boxy look. It's really nice to have this storage space.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
DWC has a rear box for the I2 Electrical system, really nice and no reason it couldn't be used for a storage box.

DWC I2 Box

[ August 11, 2007, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Stinson Pilot ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
There's an idea. DWC can bend up something like mine with a plywood lid. Then you can cover it however you like - if you like the design.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! I hadn't even thought about on top of the tunnel.....I was thinking about access in the back panel into the trunk area.

Great idea!

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
DWC actually sells that same box without the holes and they call it a "Glove Box". It's almost $20 less than the I2 box too.

I do like the idea of DMW's box, though, gives you a nice armrest too.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,976 Posts
Dave,
I didn't know you had a storage box there. That's really cool.

Greg

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Dang, I've looked at the DWC website several times and never noticed that you could get it in just the glove box version.

I like DMW's idea too, it would be nice to have an armrest that functions as a storage box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts