Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a stock 90 degree thermostat housing (this one even has a plug for a sensor) to replace the POS Chrome FRP unit that leaks. I would like to use standard bolts as opposed to the socket heads that came with the FRP unit. What size are these, and should I get standard zinc or stainless? The unit is a beefy cast unit, so stainless would look out of place (or so I think).

Tom

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT

·
Junior Charter Member
280 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly the bolts you want are 5/16-18. I believe the stock length is 1" but since I like to use the longest bolt to give better grip I used a pair of 1 1.2" long units and cut them down to 1 1/4". I recommend running a tap into the bolt holes as far as it will go without forcing it. Then measure the length of the tap in the hole and add approximately 3/8" to allow for the housing flange thickness plus a lock washer. If your housing is cast, iron I assume, you will probably paint it to prevent rust. Cast aluminum housings look fine either left plain or clear coated. I am a believer in using stainless fasteners because they don't rust. Either way, it will look MAHVELOUS.

SUPERHART'S COBRA BUILD PAGE
VALVE COVER ADAPTER & 351W DUAL QUAD INTAKE PAGE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.