Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which ones do you guys like best.. for the street.
I gonna switch out the solids.. going from race mode to "old man" mode..
Who's got the best buy on rubber or poly mts.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
i heard that AutoZone has them for real chep with a lifetime guarante. I am running Energy mounts, they are great but not the "best buy"

Eric

·
Registered
168 Posts
raceral
This is not the voice of experience or anything, but I'm trying to find the right motor and transmission mounts. Everything I hear is, even with new rubber, you will get so much torque movement, your likely to break something on your exhaust. Energy Suspension is pretty expensive, with no deals from our venders. Summit has "Prothane" urethane mounts than are somewhat cheaper. Maybe someone knows about them.

Gary

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
I just bought polyurethane set from SOFAST Technology because they are close and the owner Farra Snook said they would work well. He puts them on all his builds. There might be a supplier to this forum who also sells them.
--LNJ

[ November 23, 2002, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Larry N. Johnson ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
I can't see any reason not to use poly. If you find a good deal on the Energy go with it.

If you look at the cost of a complete set of new OEM rubber mounts including tranny, then look at the Energy poly ones, there's not all that much price difference. It's a matter of overpriced OEM parts again.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
The other option is mounts used on covertibles. The convertible mounts are stiffer than the regular Mustang ones. After 8,000+ miles I ain't had nothing to break or fall off my engine or exhaust but I did loose one tail light screw at about 500 miles. :D

302, TFS heads, E-303, #24, 65mm tb... Hey, and I still have 3rd gear!

Mike
FFR 2335 & 3917

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
What Mike said. I'm using the convertable mounts too. For a street car I think it's a good compromise between the stock mounts and poly.

·
Senior Charter Member
355 Posts
I like my stock rubber engine mounts with the poly trans mount. Only have 850 miles on the car so far.

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The convertible ones are stiffer, they are probably the best compromise. For all around driving.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Al,

You are taking this stock thing too far! We are all going to pitch in and while you are sleeping at DVSF next year we are going to put aluminum heads, big injectors, nitrous, and a blower on your car.

Sean

·
The Traveler
3,104 Posts
I really like the poly ones. I replaced my stock, donor, soft rubber ones with the poly ones, including the tranny. They have worked flawlessly for 60,000 miles. The on the highway vibrations are also very low!

·
The Traveler
3,104 Posts
Hummm... you are aware that FFR sells the poly set for $160.00 including the tranny mount.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you are looking for a low cost solution here's an idea. Take a regular pair of OEM mounts (which you can pick up for next to nothing since so many are switching to poly and solid), drill a 3/8" or 7/16" hole right through the middle of each one and install a bolt with washers and a locknut. You can adjust the preload on the bolt to get the desired stiffness out of the mount, the rubber will isolate the vibration very well and you'll never have to worry about breaking another mount. This is a good way to limit how much the engine is allowed to torque as well. Personally, I'd rather spend $100 on something other than engine mounts...

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
I am running Prothane...go them at Thunder Racing ....very good price. I think thay may be a bit higher that the average mount though.

·
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sean... Don't you dare touch my orginial ffr car. the way I have it figured i will have the only "real one" and it should be worth at least 100 grand...i guess i will ditch those Cobra r's next!!!!

·
Charter Member
79 Posts
I bought the stock '93 convertible mounts from Autozone yesterday. They are the same as the factory convertible mounts without the price. I considered upgrading the transmission mount.

#130962 2725 Motor mount $27.99
#186760 2726 Motor mount $28.99
#108076 2530 Transmission mount $10.99

Total: $67.97
(about the price for 1 engine mount from Ford)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts