Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently rebuilding my 5.0L for my future FFR. I will be going with a carb instead of EFI. I plan on using a B303 or E303 cam with either reworked stock heads or a set of Edelbrock heads. My question is this - Should I use the stock headers or go with an aftermarket. If aftermarket headers, then which ones???
Thanks guys for your help...

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
In my case, the only reason I went with aftermarket headers is that the stock ones are kinda fugly! ;)
I used Mac unequal shorties and am happy with them.
RR

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
I would highly recommend the Stage 8 locking header bolts when you do this. Tighten the bolts a second time after everything has been heat cycled. They solved my exhaust gasket troubles for good. As a bonus, they look kinda cool too!

John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
IMHO, the stock headers are a joke. A cast iron exhaust manifold couldn't flow much worse. I used Ford Motorsport ceramic coated stainless steel p/n M-9430-C50. $275 from Gene Evens Ford gefracing.com I drilled the heads of my bolts and safety wired them.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
John,
Here's my opinions. Sorry this is rather lengthy.

Even though the stock tubular headers Ford put on Mustangs were an improvement over cast, they are still an impedance to exhaust flow, even with stock heads. Look at the big dents and dimples they put in them for bolt clearance and you'll see why. They are one of the first things most Mustang guys replace.

MAC aren't bad, but I'd consider the Ford Racing stainless versions instead, especially the ceramic coated pair for $300.00. BBK, JBA ( they expen$ive) , Bassani, and some others are also good brands.

I have a pair of MAC headers, and they seem to be good quality and fit, but the HTS coating they use doesn't last long and it's sort of difficult to remove later if you want to paint them. The steel and construction seems decent, but there was quite a bit of weld inside the openings on my set.

I had a pair of regular, stainless, Ford Motorsport headers once and they were excellent quality. If the rusty finish they develop bothers you, get them ceramic coated or have it done by somebody like HOTSHOT. Either that or paint them every couple of years.

For heads, About the only way I'd put any money into stock heads ( E7TE's )is to use these guys.

Power heads Web page

If it were me, I'd also skip on having them do anything BUT the CNC work. I would get a valve job and have the heads assembled with Manley hardware or similar at a local machine shop instead of having Powerheads do it, using their stuff. I've heard several reports from people having problems with the hardware they use ( retainers, locks, etc. ). I have no direct experience with Powerheads, it's just what others have told me.

The Edelbrock Performer are better heads than the stock heads and weigh about 50lbs less. The Trick Flow heads are better yet, although they require 3/8 stud rockers, guide plates, and hardened pushrods.

This brings up the subject of rocker arms. The stock rockers feature a 5/16 bolt down arrangement that's adjusted with shims. The small bolts are ok for totally stock setups. The biggest weakness is the sled fulcrums which the rocker pivot on. It's just metal sliding on metal with some oil in the middle and it sucks. I would recommend ditching the stock rockers. They are likely costing you about the same HP as the stock headers.
If you're going to get roller rockers, an adjustable stud mount type is prefered. You can get roller rockers that bolt to the stock pedestal mounts, but you still have the weak 5/16 bolt and pedestal arrangement. Stud mount are the same price as pedestal mount style, sometimes even less.
The stud mount are prefered since they are both stronger and easily adjustable for preload. You can have the stock heads machined for studs by Powerheads or your machine shop if you go that route. I would recommend it you haven't purchased roller rockers yet.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.