Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an '89 GT from a friend. It needs a bit of tender love and care to get back into great shape. (pics will come later this weekend) It runs a tad bit rough out of the hole. I am looking at all aspects but want to answer this one first.

My questions are:
1) the initial timing by reading the gauge on the balancer should be around 10? With a timing light, sorry this is a new attempt for me.

2) can I bump the timing to 11 or 12?

3) what will this do for me?

·
Junior Charter Member
289 Posts
Stock timing is about 10, you can go to 12, some motors can take 14. What that will do in generic turns is give you a little more power across the rpm and range and a little quicker rev when you blip the throttle. Definately do that, its 5.0 101, no problem and the first thing you do when you get a stock 5.0. Free horsepower and thats the best kind!

there is a little plug in spout near the distributer, it runs off a wire coming from it, just a little plastic plug, when you set the timing pull that plug, and use the light. Loosen the dist. nut at the base of it, and turn it slightly you will see the timing mark on the balancer move as you rotate it. Put it at 12 and run it, if you can run wide open throttle with no pinging, you might be able to go a little higher, but be careful with it. 12 is safe. set it at 12 clamp the bolt back down and reinstall the plug, you are done.

One note, it is not advisable to turn the dist. while it is running by hand. It is rare but if you have a bad wire in there some where, it can shock the P#** out of you. Stange thing but I had it happen to me once, and that was enough! Good luck!

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
You can probably bump the base timing up to 14* without too much trouble, provided everything else is in proper order. Make sure you do this with the spout out. It will advance your timing and the car should make more power.
I would also do a basic tuneup on the car - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve and fuel filter.

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
I can answer (kinda') questions 2 and 3.

Some are running up to 14 deg foward, this requires premium fuel. It will give a preformance boost.

For other ways check out:

http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/302.html

Although the subject of HEATED debate, a lot of people run 3.08 or 3.55 gears in the back to increase the potential of planting an ice cream cone into your passenger’s face with some simple physics laws.

HTH.

·
Junior Charter Member
8 Posts
I can also recommend NGK V-Groove spark plugs. My 89 LX with 5.0 HO definitely prefers them over all others. NAPA carries them.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I am running at 13.5 and I can still use regular gaz (no knocking) but I fill it up with premium on hot days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.