Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I may have found the reason for the brakes sticking/draging. M2300 setup brand new when the car was built 2400 miles ago. Manual setup using the pushrod out of the power assist as per the FFR manual.
Intermitantly the brakes would drag and stay on, getting worse as the rotors heated up.
When I put the pedal box together, I didn't like the loose pedal and put a couple of small springs to hold the pushrod against the end of the MC.
After some of the comments here, I tried taking one of the springs off. Seems to have solved the problem. Does this make sense?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Yes. It doesn't take much pressure. If the brakes even barely rub the rotor, they heat up. The heat expands the fluid and applies more pressure to the brakes. That's what you were feeling.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Yes!! Even with a slight pressure on the MC the return route for the brake fluid is blocked. With this opening blocked the only place for the brake fluid to go which is heated on expansion is the caliper pistons which move to engage the brakes. You should have a small free space between the push rod and the master cylinder. Remove all springs pull your pedal up and down with your hand. It should only move about 1/8 to 1/4 inch before you fell the MC begin to move. If it is more than this you may need need an adjustable pushrod (Whitbays forum vendor has them). If you want to use a spring use it to pull the pedal up not push it down. JUST TO BE SAFE!! BE SURE WHEN YOU PULL THE PEDAL UP THE BRAKE ROD DOES NOT FALL OUT OF THE MC.
HTH CB

·
Junior Charter Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. This forum again is the greatest resource! I have had intermitent problems with them since it hit the road. I had blamed all sorts of other problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts