Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EFI sticks open occasionally, when I really put my foot in it, and it's really unnerving, not to mention dangerous. I have disconnected the throttle body from the cable, and the cable from the petal. All seem to work freely when seperated. I did put a small amount of grease on the throttle- cable ball, but dosen't help. Any ideas??

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I had a similar problem with a BBK throttle body.

I wiggled the lower cam where it meets the cable and sprayed the butterfly pivot with WD 40. Cured it!

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Check to see that the throttle arm doesn't catch or rub on anything. Mine rubbed on the top of the valve cover and I had to sort of "cut" a grove in it so it wouldn't stick. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
If the throttle shaft is "tweaked" from being dropped, or possibly by moving the engine, then the shaft can bind in the hole. I have straightened one with good success. Also be sure that the throttle plate is not rubbing in the bore. The screws can be loosened and the plate slightly re-centered if needed.

HTH
Bruce

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright!, some great ideas. Anybody else?

·
Senior Charter Member
540 Posts
I had my 89 GT do the exact same thing. I was passing another car and missed the 2-3 shift and she went to 6K+ and I like to have had a heart attack!!!! My problem was the carbon build up on the backside of the throttle plate and on the inside of the throttle body hole. A can of fuel injector type spray cleaner and I was golden.

You can do it with the engine running and the hose dis-connected from the Mass Air meter. Oh she'll bark, complain and sputter....just have your hand on bottom side of the throttle body so you can give it some gas and keep it running.

What you could do is dis-connect the entire body from the intake,,,,clean it and the inside of intake hole and re-assemble.

Here's to safe cruisin'!

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Mt 75mm BBK/edelbrock likes to pop the return spring off causing the spring on the cable to do all the work . It's not strong enough. A little creative punishment with the channellocks corrected the problem . Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.