Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reaching the conclusion that the most serious limitation of my car (other than the driver of course) is traction. I am running Sumitomo 17" with 315s on the rear and fishtailing in second is still a major challenge so......

Votes for stickiest street tires? At this rate my Sumitomos wont be lasting much longer
Steve

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts
Goodyear F1 GS-D3 awesome in rain and holds really well on dry! Gets better as they get hotter too!

They are my picks!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Those F1s are quite pricey, especially coming out of the Sumitomos...

A DOT drag radial will give you the best traction...

Your choices in that regard are the Nitto NT-555r, Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial, or the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial...

These will give you the optimum dry traction in a straight line...

If turbo Mustangs can hit 9-second ETs on these things, they'll work great for most any high HP street car...

HTH...
Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
147 Posts
Nittos for me

·
3,875 Posts
If they are still making them as these are a couple of years old, Yokohama Advan 32. 255/40/17 and 315/35/17 mounted on 17" Vintage wheels.

Don

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark - Does DOT make them street legal? The cost of the tires are less of an issue. I think of a good tire as a safety investment though hopefully I will get better mileage out of them than I can expect from the Sumi's !! Of the tires you mention, how would you rank them for traction?
Steve

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Steve,

With regards to life expectancy, Drag Radials are not going to give you near the life of the Sumitomo. I think the Sumi's I have are rated 9.7 for treadwear and the Nitto Drags are rated around 3. That was why I chose the Sumi's first. I figure I'll see how much I drive and then go to the Drag's if it makes sense.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Yes, DOT means they are legal for street use...

They are soft tires, most with wear ratings of 100 or less (I think the M/Ts are rated at 000!)

A soft tire grips, a hard tire slips as we say at the drag strip... But a hard tire gives you more mileage...

The typical touring car radial has a treadwear of 600 on some models, but they are so hard you can't get them to even leave rubber on the ground when you spin them!

Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
Those Nitto drag radials are good for about 15,000 miles which is pretty darn good for the traction they offer. They also handle well and aren't too horrible if you get caught in the rain. For a super high hp application the MT ET street radial is best for straight line traction but will wear out very quickly, and forget it if you get caught in rain.
Thomas

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the Nittos have a great following here and the write-ups and price look good. I will not be driving the car in rain (unless I get caught in an unexpected downpour in which case I will be travelling slower than the rest of the traffic). My next question is - will I need to change my front sumitomo tires other than for the looks?
Steve

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Can't beat the Nittos for a good compromise between grip, wet weather and longevity - there are other tires that will be be better at one of those but will suck at the others. The MTs and BFGs will grip better, but are treacherous in the rain if you ever get caught. The nittos will last as long as you can keep your foot out of it - obviously the more smoke shows you put on, the shorter their gonna last.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Nitto Drags in the rear matching tread nitto 555 street tires in the front. Keep in mind the BFG is NOT speed rated. The biggest mistake people is putting a lower rated tire on the rear . Lower rating = less traction = crash from spinouts. Alot lot putting 2 snow tires on the front of your FWD car all the grip in the front none at the rear ever watch the nascar races?? Lose rear grip =eat wall. The yoko's look nice too Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
146 Posts
My choice is Toyo RA-1. They have great traction on all 4 corners and are very good in the rain. They are R compounds but last well.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
Nitto makes a road race version of the 555R - called the 555RII - with much better cornering. I ran these on my 03 Cobra and loved them. It they are still available, they'd be my first choice, but they may have a newer version now.

·
Charter Member
456 Posts
Steve, I came to the same conclusion you did 2 years ago and I'v been running Nittos ever since. I been caught in the rain 2 times and they worked very well. They wear great on the front (still look new) and I think I can get another season out of the rear 315's (about 6 to 8K total). No fishtailing!! ==============

-Chris

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Just remember fellas - If the tire is real sticky it will pickup and hurl literally every grain of sand and piece of trash in the road. This will beat the H-E-Double-Hockey-sticks out of your paint jobs...

If you need stickier tires for track days and Auto-X - I would buy an extra set of wheels and mount the Gumballs on them...

Oh yeah - and install spats!!!

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Well....He did not ask about price but asked about stickiest.

That would be Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and the life expectancy has amazed me so far. These are light cars and if you don't do burn outs...they'll last you a long time. 11,000 miles, 3 track days at Willow Springs running all day long and I still have more than 1/2 of it's life left.

Cheers,

Kouros

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.