Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help.

I am trying to decide which Audio Components I want to use in my car, but the deeper I dig, the more questions I seem to have... Of course, all of the Brands say that their's is the best in the industry!

The when you talk to the retail people, you hear that one brand makes a great Double Din, but not necessarily great amps or speakers. Others make great speakers but not great head units or amps. And amplifiers seem to live in their own reality.

What I'd like...

I am looking for a quality Double Din LCD with Navigation. I've been thinking either Pioneer or Alpine, but I really don't know what's available.

I am also looking for speakers that give good clear quality sound.
2 doors, 2 rears, 2 tweets, and a sub. (Pioneer, Alpine, Polk Audio?)

I also figure that I'll need an Amp. I am not interested in having the LOUDEST stereo. I want a nice sounding stereo that's not a compromise.

So when you get a grasp of the components that think you want to use, you're still left with cross overs, wiring, etc., etc., etc.

Now reality starts to creep in...

Once you get to this point, you have to look for realistic places within the GTM's interior to put everything.

The head unit can go into the console. The amp can go into the passenger side dash. Two round 5 1/4" (or 6 1/2") speakers can be mounted into the doors. Two tweeter can be mounted in the lower A pillars.

How about two additional speakers?

I'm thinking that the tunnel lumbar panels next to the seats would hold a couple of extra speakers, and actually have a little room behind them.

I have also been looking for a shallow depth 8" sub that can be mounted somewhere in the car. I've read that some people are mounting subs under the dash. I would think that the vibration from the sub would constantly be loosening nuts, bolts, and/or rivets, etc.

I really don't want to piece-mill a system together that ends up not working well. I am trying for a well planned audio/video/nav system that works well and sounds great.

I would really appreciate some good info from the Audio Experts in the crowd regarding the different component brands and requirements.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I could use some help.

I am trying to decide which Audio Components I want to use in my car, but the deeper I dig, the more questions I seem to have... Of course, all of the Brands say that their's is the best in the industry!

The when you talk to the retail people, you hear that one brand makes a great Double Din, but not necessarily great amps or speakers. Others make great speakers but not great head units or amps. And amplifiers seem to live in their own reality.

What I'd like...

I am looking for a quality Double Din LCD with Navigation. I've been thinking either Pioneer or Alpine, but I really don't know what's available.

I also figure that I'll need an Amp. I am not interested in having the LOUDEST stereo. I want a nice sounding stereo that's not a compromise.

So when you get a grasp of the components that think you want to use, you're still left with cross overs, wiring, etc., etc., etc.

Once you get to this point, you have to look for realistic places within the GTM's interior to put everything.

The head unit can go into the console. The amp can go into the passenger side dash. Two round 5 1/4" (or 6 1/2") speakers can be mounted into the doors. Two tweeter can be mounted in the lower A pillars.

I'm thinking that the tunnel lumbar panels next to the seats would hold a couple of extra speakers, and actually have a little room behind them.

I have also been looking for a shallow depth 8" sub that can be mounted somewhere in the car. I've read that some people are mounting subs under the dash. I would think that the vibration from the sub would constantly be loosening nuts, bolts, and/or rivets, etc.

I really don't want to piece-mill a system together that ends up not working well. I am trying for a well planned audio/video/nav system that works well and sounds great.

I would really appreciate some good info from the Audio Experts in the crowd regarding the different component brands and requirements.
What is your budget? For $1000 off the shelf stuff I would go....

Head unit, Pioneer. AVIC-U310BT $399

Speakers, Polk Audio DB6501 $120 and Polk Audio db401in the tunnel $52

Shallow Sub, Pioneer TSSW841D $100

As for Amp, If it will fit under the dash, go with the 5 channel Polk PA1100.5 $380

If budget is unlimited, JL Audio is hard to beat. IMHO their amps, speakers, and subs are Best of the best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd personally build a car pc:

Screen: Lillyput 629 Capacitive Double Din (Best resolution for it's size) - $300
PC Components:
Mobo - ECS H55H-I Mini ITX Motherboard LGA1156 (VGA/HDMI/DVI out) - $140
CPU - Intel Core i3 - $130
Mem - Corsair XMS 3 4GB - $64
HD - OCZ Colossus Solid State Drive 120GB - $180
PSU - M4-ATX 250W $79
USB blue-tooth receiver - $20
Garmin USB GPS receiver - $85
OS - Win7 64 bit - $0 if you're smart... $240 if you're not ;)
Centrafuse CarPC integreation with Navteq Maps - $0 if you're smart... $129 if you're not ;)
M350 Universal Mini-ITX case - $50

Total - $1332 if software is paid for... $963 if not...

Boot up time 15-20 sec. Those of you that have had any AVIC HU know this is significantly faster than those head units.

Comparable HU cost:
- Pioneer Avic z120bt - $1600
- Sony XNV770BT - $1300
- Kenwood DNX9960 - $1400
What's the better bang for your buck? For you to decide.

Amps:
-JL Audio HD600/4 for component speaker set - $600
-JL AUDIO HD750/1 Class-D Monoblock for sub - $500

Total - $1100

Speakers:
-JL Audio ZR650-CSi 6-1/2" components - $650
-JL Audio C2-650x 6-1/2" COAXIAL (tunnel mounted) - $130
-JL Audio 13TW5-3 shallow mount sub (glass in a box in the passenger foot box) - $400
-Fiberglass box price varies... pretty sure you can fab one up though :)

Total - $1180

$3300 for a show quality system that an audiophile would drool over = win

You'd probably have to fab up an amp rack under the dash to hold all the goodies though (pc and two amps). Do I think it's worth it? Most definitely.

G/L with your build :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd personally build a car pc:

Screen: Lillyput 629 Capacitive Double Din (Best resolution for it's size) - $300
PC Components:
Mobo - ECS H55H-I Mini ITX Motherboard LGA1156 (VGA/HDMI/DVI out) - $140
CPU - Intel Core i3 - $130
Mem - Corsair XMS 3 4GB - $64
HD - OCZ Colossus Solid State Drive 120GB - $180
PSU - M4-ATX 250W $79
USB blue-tooth receiver - $20
Garmin USB GPS receiver - $85
OS - Win7 64 bit - $0 if you're smart... $240 if you're not ;)
Centrafuse CarPC integreation with Navteq Maps - $0 if you're smart... $129 if you're not ;)
M350 Universal Mini-ITX case - $50

Total - $1332 if software is paid for... $963 if not...

Boot up time 15-20 sec. Those of you that have had any AVIC HU know this is significantly faster than those head units.

YouTube - Centrafuse 3 Preview - mp3Car AFK Fest 2009

Comparable HU cost:
- Pioneer Avic z120bt - $1600
- Sony XNV770BT - $1300
- Kenwood DNX9960 - $1400
What's the better bang for your buck? For you to decide.

Amps:
-JL Audio HD600/4 for component speaker set - $600
-JL AUDIO HD750/1 Class-D Monoblock for sub - $500

Total - $1100

Speakers:
-JL Audio ZR650-CSi 6-1/2" components - $650
-JL Audio C2-650x 6-1/2" COAXIAL (tunnel mounted) - $130
-JL Audio 13TW5-3 shallow mount sub (glass in a box in the passenger foot box) - $400
-Fiberglass box price varies... pretty sure you can fab one up though :)

Total - $1180

$3300 for a show quality system that an audiophile would drool over = win

You'd probably have to fab up an amp rack under the dash to hold all the goodies though (pc and two amps). Do I think it's worth it? Most definitely.

G/L with your build :)
I am not too keen on jacking software, but that looks like a very cool idea. Another damn big project for an already huge project - but cool nonetheless. Not sure how that would fit under the dash (2 amps and the PC) - I would have to research the dimensional data, but I am thinking it won't fit.

·
Junior Charter Member
26 Posts
You are putting sound into a small space. The amount of power needed to run the speakers depends on the speakers and where you locate them. If it were me, I would plan the location of the amp very early in your project and not try to 'fit it' during the interior. There are lots of places you can hide an amp.

The speaker locations can be as complicated or simple as you like. Talk to your local stereo shops and find an installer who is experienced in builds somewhat similar to the GTM (lambo, ferrari, custom coupe rods, etc.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not too keen on jacking software, but that looks like a very cool idea. Another damn big project for an already huge project - but cool nonetheless. Not sure how that would fit under the dash (2 amps and the PC) - I would have to research the dimensional data, but I am thinking it won't fit.
PC and screen would be about the same size as a double din unit if that helps. There are various other forums around the net that can help you with this as well. Google is your friend. So mounting that would be no problem. Those two hefty amps on the other hand can be a little tricky. I'd get the dimensions of the available space under the passenger side dash. Make a .dwg file and take it to a shop and have them do the metal work... come home and get back to the install.

·
Speed-crazed and Confused
2,357 Posts
I was looking for a great sounding system (not necessarilly loud) that was affordable. I way overshot my expectations on the sound

F-250 SuperCrew

Head unit Kenwood DNX 8120 (Radio, Ipod, Nav, USB, Backup camera, Bluetooth, Sat radio)

Amp Alpine PDX-5 75w x4, 300x 1 (2x front, 2x rear, sub)

Kicker 10" dual coil

Infinity 2-way door and rear with adjustable angle tweeter

Great sound, very affordable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I could use some help.

What I'd like...

I am researching options for a Roadster and am actually considering an Android tablet. If I can find one that has a good enough audio out, you get music, videos, gps/maps/navigation (with a data plan or shared through a phone), etc. with minimal space usage. - It would need an external amp but this is really very similar to a Carputer in that sense.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another advantage to having a carpc would be the ability to have OBD II software/hardware readily available instead of constantly going to your local tuner. Saves $$$$.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh, you guys are no fun...

Yes it does, and interestingly enough, comes out to just about 42 gallons of volume! :)
I thought that was what was really in the roof scoop on the GTMR... :shifty:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I second the CarPC idea as I have built one, using Centrafuse 3, and have it installed in my M3. A CarPC can give you A LOT of functionality. However, if you go the carPC route the KISS principle definitely applies (Keep It Simple Stupid). Specifically:

1. Keep USB components to an absolute minimum and if you need more USB devices than what your motherboard supports, use a powered USB hub.

2. Minimize the number of bluetooth devices as the more BT devices you have, the more 'squirly' the PC can become since BT devices don't always reconnect correctly upon startup

3. Get the best CarPC power supply you can find. Clean power is the lifeblood of any reliable PC setup.

Not trying to scare you about the CarPC, but lets just say that I have a little experience regarding the items above and my CarPC ;)

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I second the CarPC idea as I have built one, using Centrafuse 3, and have it installed in my M3. A CarPC can give you A LOT of functionality. However, if you go the carPC route the KISS principle definitely applies (Keep It Simple Stupid). Specifically:

1. Keep USB components to an absolute minimum and if you need more USB devices than what your motherboard supports, use a powered USB hub.

2. Minimize the number of bluetooth devices as the more BT devices you have, the more 'squirly' the PC can become since BT devices don't always reconnect correctly upon startup

3. Get the best CarPC power supply you can find. Clean power is the lifeblood of any reliable PC setup.

Not trying to scare you about the CarPC, but lets just say that I have a little experience regarding the items above and my CarPC ;)
That all sounds pretty cool, but to be honest, it's way more complicated than I care to get. I just want a good or above average Double Din unit with decent speakers and enough of an amp to run them. And then Maybe try to do a small / shallow sub. I think I'm settling into either an Alpine (INA W900BT), or a Pioneer (AVIC-Z120BT). Still sorting through Speakers...

·
1,481 Posts
I originally bought a Alpine double Dinn nav unit. I have a portable Alpine nav unit in my truck and I hate it. I sold sold it and bought the Pioneer and I'm happy with it. I did keep the Alpine SPR17 component speakers and the amp. I like the amp because it's small size for what it puts out.I mounted it in front of the steering wheel under the dash.
I also put in a 8" sub under the dash on the passenger side.
Happy Building, Ron

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I originally bought a Alpine double Dinn nav unit. I have a portable Alpine nav unit in my truck and I hate it. I sold sold it and bought the Pioneer and I'm happy with it. I did keep the Alpine SPR17 component speakers and the amp. I like the amp because it's small size for what it puts out.I mounted it in front of the steering wheel under the dash.
I also put in a 8" sub under the dash on the passenger side.
Happy Building, Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the response. I like the Pioneer unit as well. I've been told by a few people that the Alpine Type R's, or the JL Audio Component Speakers are probably the best route to take for what I'm doing. So I'll probably do that as well. Did you use just the two in the doors, or did you find someplace to put a couple more somewhere?

I also like the idea of the smaller 8" Sub, because I'm hoping that it will be much easier to conseal. Did you have a box made for it? How much room did that cost you?

Would you mind shooting a couple of pictures that show how much space the amp and the Sub take up?

·
1,481 Posts
Hi Mike,

I bought a Alpine PDX5 amp http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-5/
The PDX is a 4 channel amp that I bridged two of the channels for the sub.
The amp is mounted in front of the steering wheel under the dash.
I put the components speakers in the doors. The 6.125 is in the stock placement and the tweeters are mounted high in the door.
It's a bad picture but you can see the crossovers mounted on top of the main shelf under the dash.
I built a sub box myself. It's easy. The JL Audio 8" sub tells you how much cubic feet you need for sub to work correctly. I think it was 1.5 cubic feet. I used 1/2"fiberboard to make the enclosure. The sub enclosure is hidden under the dash.
TTYL Ron

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I'm no audio expert, but I have heard good things about the Earthquake SWS shallow subs. Lots of guys use the SWS-8's to replace the stock subs under the seats in the E92 M3.
I would thing you could get a couple 8's or a 10 in the GTM pretty easily, their guide gives you some various mounting box designs for under seat or behind seat applications:
http://www.earthquakesound.com/IMAGEJP/CAR/pdf/sws_manual.pdf

1 - 20 of 21 Posts