Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
new
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone, what is the process to do to get my mk3 on the road . It’s pretty much done now . Few small things to finish but ready to be put on road . I’m in Manitoba. What is the steps I have to go through to get car on the road . I know it will need a saftety but what needs to be done before that . Thanks for any help

·
Junior Charter Member
875 Posts
Go to your local MTO and ask.
Manitoba will be different than any other province, I’m in Ontario so I can’t help.
I had to go to 3 locations before I found someone that could tell me what they needed from me.

Reactions: fast fern

·
Actual builder now!
1,510 Posts
I'm also in Ontario so this may not apply in Manitoba. I had to trailer the car to get a safety then registered it. I needed proof of ownership of the major components, namely, the chassis, body and engine. Paperwork that FFR gave me was sufficient for the chassis and body and the receipt for purchase of the donor sufficed for the engine although if I had registered the donor in my name it would have been easier. The ministry assigned a VIN based on the chassis number but did not include enough digits to satisfy the insurance so had to get them to put me on some exempt list before I could renew my plate sticker. Paid my money, got my plates and went driving.
All this failed on the first attempt because it seems I went to the wrong office where they had no idea how register a home built vehicle.
Manitoba may have very different rules. Hopefully somebody more local can help

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are a number of posts on Canadian registration on the Factory Five Forum but no Manitoba info but like the post above it gives you a framework. i haven’t even ordered yet but have been looking into this. A couple things I have gleaned is;
1) Try to find a inspection shop familiar with FFR cars which could be challenging depending on your area, but a custom car shop builder would be a good start. In Alberta Canadian Tire is register inspector for imported vehicles and that sounds like the worst place to start even tho I patronize Canadian Tire I’m not sure that’s my first stop.
2) somewhere I have read the process is similar to that where you are importing a car so some of that is online and for Alberta I have seen checklists
3) the other challenge people seem to have is insurance coverage, I did log into Hagerty to see if they cover in Canada and after some data entry i was able to get a quote, and got on their mail list and today they had an article on insurance they provide during a build ( not something you need) but a problem a number of people have noted.

thats all I got but I am following your post thanks for posting

·
Snake Farmer
10,382 Posts
It's different in every province. In BC, our motor vehicle branch, and mandatory liability insurance, are both handled by the government's ICBC.I contacted them wanting to know the exact steps I needed to go through, and they were very helpful. It's been over a decade, but this is what I can remember from my experience.

First thing was to send ICBC an application to be able to register the vehicle in BC. They needed the certificate of origin, along with copies of the bill of sale, and serial numbers, for the major donor parts, engine tranny, and rear end. I also was required to send a sworn affidavit, that I had bought the parts, and from who. I was able to claim that I had paid sales tax on all the parts, and the kit, when I bought them, (so there was no sales tax to pay at the time of registering it). I had to provide the name of the Gov't certified shop I was taking the roadster to for inspection.
After a week or so, I rec'd instructions on how to proceed. ICBC sends separately to the inspection shop I chose a permanent BC VIN plate, to attach to the roadsters frame when it passed. The shop called me to say they had rec'd it, so I booked an appointment with them.
I was allowed to get a temporary one day permit to drive the car, to the inspection shop, to a Gov't's Hwy Weigh Station for scaling, then to an ICBC insurance agency. I wasn't allowed to go joy riding, the permit was quite specific. I needed to keep the printed ticket showing the roadsters weight. (2260 lbs with five gallons of gas).
Once the car passed inspection, the shop drilled the frame, and riveted the VIN plate on. I then drove it to the ICBC agency, with the weight ticket, and the inspection approval. The agent physically checked the VIN tag on the vehicle to make sure it matched the computer file, (which I presume was generated when I applied for registration). They enter the weight as per the ticket, as this is what determines how much your license plates cost. The agent asked what the model was, I told them Cobra. The new registration shows it as, make-RPLKIT. model-Cobra and year-2011. I was then given a print out of the registration, a valid insurance certificate, and a set of license plates. The only cost was for the plates, and I think $18 for the registration. Normally this would be the time you would pay sales tax, but I guess the computer file showed I had already paid them all. I actually brought in all the parts receipts for the roadster, including the ones from Western Canada Cobra for the kit and FFR options ordered, showing GST, PST, and duty was already paid, just in case they asked to see them. It's good they didn't have to bother, because there was a lot of them..o_O

The entire experience was really not that difficult, and didn't take long at all. It took far longer to get the OK from Transport Canada to allow the kit into the country.

Reactions: fast fern
1 - 7 of 7 Posts