181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Taillights

Howdy Everybody,

1-27-14 update:

I'm trying to come up with some type of taillights for my Spyder. I don't want the Coupe style taillights and this is what I've done so far:

The light is a LED 4" trailer light from Super Bright LED, but I thought it needed a little help to "bling" it up and to fill in the area of the back panel.

This is what I did:

Scrap aluminum:

On the lathe:

Machined ring:

Finished:

Back side:

Back side together:

Another finished:

Now, the tricky part........ I have to duplicate this ring for the other taillight.

Everything was done by hand on a 50 year old lathe and my design was all in my head without anything being written down.

Now, I will have to spend 2 hours minimum polishing the ring.

Also over the weekend I installed a Innovate Motorsport LC-1 wideband O2 controller w/ a digital gauge. Finished wiring the turn signal indictor lights and ran the wires for the turn signals in the mirrors, finished the wiring to all the gauges and their lights. I still need to install the VSS speed sensor and connect it to the speedometer.

Paul

·
Registered
232 Posts
your machining and lathe work is both inspiring and impressive!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good job Paul. I appreciate the updates on your progress. Your posts are always interesting and help to keep me moving forward with my Spyder. I'm in the middle of aluminum install. The frame mods for trunk, ebrake, and engine mounts took longer than I expected. Wiring harnesses going to Art this week. John

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Taillights

Howdy Everybody,

3-1-14 update:

I finished the taillights and installed the gas cap.

Here's a pic:

I need one more license plate light ( I got the 1st at TSC, and it's a simple chrome plated LED unit but they are out of stock ) before I can finish the rear lights.

All the lights work, including the tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, backup light and license plate light ( still need to install the ones on the passenger side ).

Next I need to connect the fuel filler tube to the gas cap assembly.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Howdy Everybody,

3-16-14 update:

I'm finally able to get back to the shop after my retina surgery.

This weekend I worked on a couple of different items.

I cleaned up the under dash wiring a little, installed a DTST rocker switch for the hazard lights, reinstalled the switch panel, and reinstalled the dash.

Now my hazard lights work. Yea!

Next I decided that I needed to install the driver's side door which lead to several issues.

It didn't line up, the body was to far rearward and the striker mount was way off.

I shifted the body forward about 3/16" which opened up the gap at the front edge of the door and closed up the gap at the rear edge of the door.

Next I decided to cut off the striker mount, fab a new one and tack weld it in place. I'll finish the welding when I remove the body next time.

The door is going to need a bunch of work for it to line up with the contour of the body at the rear edge.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Trunk lid

Howdy,

March 23, 2014 update:

Today I decide to fit the trunk lid. It was slightly oversized and I had to trim off some the the excess with a jigsaw and an Emory disc on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. I used a course cut flat file to even up the edges.

Here's a couple of pics:

The suggestion manual doesn't mention the trunk lid a single time so I had to wing it like I have on 90% of my Spyder.

I need to finish the gap between the lid and the body and the smooth the surface because it is very wavy.

For the gap spacing I'll use the old paint stir stick trick. That's were you wrap sandpaper around a thin stir stick and use that as a way to get a uniform gap spacing.

Because of my right eye I'm off work until the April 11th at the earliest so I have a lot of time to get things done since I plan to work about 8 hours a day on my Spyder.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Howdy Everybody,

3-27-14 update:

I've been doing bodywork again since the weather has warmed up some.

Yesterday I sprayed filler primer on most of the nose and started wet sanding the primer.

Today it rained on and off all day so between rain showers I would wet sand on the nose.

When it was raining I worked on the driver's side door.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out so far but I still have to close the gap between the back edge of the door and the quarter panel.

Next item on the list: the passenger's side door.

It didn't fit any better than the driver's side door.

I used a 4 1/2" grinder to grind down the front and rear edge of the door, a couple of shims between the frame and the door and presto! it fits, sort of.

Tomorrow? More sanding.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Door latch assembly

Howdy Everybody,

3-29-14 update:

Yesterday I removed the driver's side door skin so I could do the body work on it so today I decided to fab and install the door handle/latch assembly.

Door handle from a '99 Ford Windstar which uses a cable to "trip" the door latch which is what I need for the Spyder.

I need to make one more bracket to support the door handle assembly a little better but I ran out of time today.

FFR door latch w/ a bracket I made from a 1/8"x1" piece of stainless steel. I attached it to the factory holes in the latch using S/S 1/4-20x5/8" bolts and nyloc nuts.

Here's a pic:

View from the backside:

Here's a short video:

Paul

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
4,393 Posts
tail light mounts....

don't see how you actually mounted the tail lights.....inside pic please.

What did you use to retain the ring to the body panel?

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Howdy JayP,

don't see how you actually mounted the tail lights.....inside pic please.

What did you use to retain the ring to the body panel?
I drilled and tapped the rings for 4mm bolts and drilled a hole through the back panel. Nothing fancy.

Since my frame is totally different from any other Spyder frame I was limited to using a tail light that has a flat base.

Right now I'm trying to get the nose painted. I'll post a few pics later.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Nose job

Howdy Everybody,

April 20, 2014 update:( ok, I'm late)

I painted the nose. Here's a couple of pics:

I'm not sure if I like how it turned out or not. I have a couple of sand scratches and one very noticeable low spot between the rad exit and the leading edge of the nose. It's actually between the nose seam and the rad exit.

The color is a '67 Mustang Candy Apple Red. I need to finish color sanding and buffing then I'll decide what to do.

I also need to clean up around the outside of my shop. I astonished at how quickly trash and junk builds up outside, especially since I'm the only person that uses my shop.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Go cart drive

Howdy Everybody,

April 25, 2014 update:

What did I do to my Spyder today?

I drove it! Woohoo!! Here's a video:

I've been fighting a rich condition and I've finally solved it. I still have a lot of tuning to do but it's running a lot better.

I took three 1/2 mile drives without any issues. It never died, always restarted quickly after I shut it off, and never overheated.

My driveway is about 300 yards long and I pulled it out on the highway and drove down to the next driveway which is about 100yds away, turned around and drove back to the house. Even at part throttle with a lot of tuning to do the engine has an incredible amount of power.

The brakes? That's a different story. I only hit about 50mph and it took longer to slow down than to speed up so I need to bled and adjust the brakes.

I also need to perform a basic shop alinement on the front end before it's next go cart trip.

The really cool part was the number of people that slowed down and waved, shouted and did the "burnout" sign.

It was so cool! I even had a few neighbors stop by too.

My datalog showed that max rpm was 5,297rpm @ 70% throttle with open headers so it was kinda loud. My wife said it was very loud. :)

Tomorrow? Honey Do's time. :(

Paul

·
Senior Charter Member
1,024 Posts
First go carts are the best. Congrats.
Steve

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Howdy,

7-19-14 update:

Lately I've been doing bodywork with a lot of sanding so not much to report.

After the engine sat for a couple of weeks I decided to start it, bring it up to temp and check things out. Everything look pretty good so I decided to take a go-cart drive.

Here's a couple of vids:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds21NCcKjSs

I had a bungee cord hanging from the chassis that I had to remove.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhZe5SHJamc

I'm slowly tuning the EFI/ECU on my 414W so after "tweeting" on her I have to go for a test drive.

I pulled it out on the highway and drove down to the next road, about 100yds, and had a couple of cars honk and wavy. It was soooo cool!

When I got back to the house, Ginger said SHE wanted to go for a ride which real shocker because she said that she didn't think she would ever ride in it. It was just down to the next road and back. She was grinning ear to ear and said that it was so much fun that I needed to finish it so we could drive it places.

Hopefully the bodywork and paint will be finished in a two weeks then I can remount the body so I can wrap things up.

I need to swap to the ceramic coated headers, finish the exhaust, rework the cold air system, and a million other things.

I can see a very dim and distant light at the end of the tunnel.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Howdy,

7-19-14 update:

Lately I've been doing bodywork with a lot of sanding so not much to report.

After the engine sat for a couple of weeks I decided to start it, bring it up to temp and check things out. Everything look pretty good so I decided to take a go-cart drive.

Here's a couple of vids:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds21NCcKjSs

I had a bungee cord hanging from the chassis that I had to remove.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhZe5SHJamc

I'm slowly tuning the EFI/ECU on my 414W so after "tweeking" on her I have to go for a test drive.

I pulled it out on the highway and drove down to the next road, about 100yds, and had a couple of cars honk and wavy. It was soooo cool!

When I got back to the house, Ginger said SHE wanted to go for a ride which real shocker because she said that she didn't think she would ever ride in it. It was just down to the next road and back. She was grinning ear to ear and said that it was so much fun that I needed to finish it so we could drive it places.

Hopefully the bodywork and paint will be finished in a two weeks then I can remount the body so I can wrap things up.

I need to swap to the ceramic coated headers, finish the exhaust, rework the cold air system, and a million other things.

I can see a very dim and distant light at the end of the tunnel.

Paul

P.S. These vids could have been titled "How to fit a big fat guy into a little car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Awesome go kart vids! Lack of power steering can be an issue as you've seen firsthand.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts