Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Everybody!

This forum is dead so I decided to start a build thread so here goes my adventure........

6-24-11. Got it moved into the shop and the boxes unloaded that day. *

6-25 i inventories the various boxes and parts that were with the Spyder. Started spray painting various brackets with Rustoleum *Hammered Silver" spray paint.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Howdy Everybody!

7-18 -- I'm finally starting on the Spyder. Woohoo! I had to finish the shop first.*

Not really sure where to start so I decided the I would start with the doors first since I would need to fabricate striker mounts before I could remove the body.

Driver's side door.......

Paul

·
Zipper-suited sun god and
2,033 Posts
Lookin good Paul.

How many of the planned mods that were in-progress when you picked up the car are you planning on continuing?

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howdy Acts,

Paul,

Where is Bugtusell, AR? Google maps is confused. I just retired from LRAFB and live in Jacksonville.

Bryan
I actually live in Lonsdale which is east of Hot Springs, just south of the HS Village and west of Benton.

Your have an open invitation to visit and check out
my little shop and project.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdy cheap,

Lookin good Paul.

How many of the planned mods that were in-progress when you picked up the car are you planning on continuing?
Not too sure at this point. The tilt body is out because it's just too complicated for my limited abilities.

I love the floor pan/foot box mods.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Howdy Everybody!

7-29 -- I'm trying to install the doors and nothing fits or lines up right.

8-2-11 Still working on the driver's side door. *Nothing fits and nothing lines up! :(

8-3-11 I think I'm going to use a '97 Explorer interior door handle, but I'm not 100% sure at this point.

8-4-11 Well, I'm finally happy with the way the driver's side door fits! I basically started all over by loosing up all the nuts and bolts and then sliding the body around a little and "Presto!" everything fits better.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy Everybody!

8-5-11

I'm starting on the passenger's side door and this should be a little easier and faster the the driver's side door.*

Everything went together ok without any real problems. *

Now I need to fabricate the striker bolt mounts. *

8-7-11

I fabricated and tack into place the striker bolt mounts and the doors will close and latch but I'm still not happy with the fit of the doors.*

Paul

P.S. I'm WAY behind on the status of my build and I'm trying to get my thread up to date as quick as I can.

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdy Everybody,

Aug. 15, 2011

I hate fiberglass! *The original owner of my Spyder body customized the cab part of the body so it would tilt like the nose does. *He cut out the door jamb areas and the area behind the seat and I'm trying to 'glass everything back together. * He included some of the pieces that he cut out but some are missing and I'm trying to rebuild this area. **

Since I'm not sure what the missing pieces look like I'm winging everything based on pictures of other Spyders that I've found on the 'Net.*

I hate fiberglass! *This is my first time to work with fiberglass and boy is it an experience! **

I've learned a lot already, mainly to have a huge supply of disposable gloves handy. *And cheap paint brushes too. * *

Good thing WalMart carries *fiberglass supplies. **

Another thing that I've learned is that 'glass will not stick to the black fiber reenforced tape. *I built my plugs out of Elmer's foam board and I covered it with the black tape and a thin coat of Dow mold release and everything came apart very easily. *

I'll finish the fiberglass work after I take the body off and move it outside in the fresh air.*

My wife said that the fumes where killing my brain cells and that I couldn't afford to lose very many. *I'm not sure what she meant by that statement.*

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy Everybody,

8-19-11
*I fabricated and welded into place 4 body mounts, 2 on each side. *They were welded to the 2"x2" floor plan tube with the front mounted near the cowl tube and the rear one near the end of the 2"x2" floor pan tube. *These were just welded with a heavy tack and will be finished when I remove the body. *

There's nothing to really see, just a few pieces of metal welded to another piece of metal so no pics. Sorry.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Howdy Everybody,

8-21 -- I trimmed the cowl edge on the nose today. I used a jig saw to cut the fiberglass hood and a flat file to smooth and even everything out.

I also cutout the openings for the hood latches and the side vents.

Next I installed the hood latches. This was done so I can fabricate the hood latch mounts.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hood and doors

Howdy,

Hood latch mount pic........

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hood and doors

Howdy Everybody,

8-21-11
I welded the hood latch mounts in place today using a heavy tack. I will finish welding them when I remove the body.

Once this was done I could properly close and latch the hood into place.

I then drilled the holes for the body mounts and secured the body to the frame where it should be located, I think anyway. LOL.

Next I reinstalled the driver's door and it actually closes!

Same for the passenger's door.

Finally, I have working doors and they actually fit better.

Here's one with the seats installed.........

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gas cap

Howdy Everybody,

8-23-11

I decided that I needed the turn the Spyder around in the shop so I could reach the back of the car with my welder since I needed to fabricate and weld into place a few brackets and mounts. Plus I want to modify the trunk area a little so it well be easier to seal with with aluminum panels.

8-24-11

I installed the gas cap. The manual said to use a 2" hole saw which turned out to be too small so I had to recut the hole with a 2 1/2" hole saw. I like how the cap turned out.

Paul

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Howdy Everybody,

8-25 -- Today I installed the passenger's side hood strut.

8-26 I decided the the hood at the hinge point was too high because the back egde of the nose was hitting the hinge mount before the nose was tilted forward enough. I removed the nose hinge bolt and screwed out the heim joint 2 full turns. This lowered the front of the nose slightly and allowed the nose to tilt farther forward.

Next I installed the driver's side hood strut. Presto! Now my hood stays up by itself.

I also trimmed a little 'glass off of the driver's side nose bottom flange were it was hitting the hood mount u-bolt.

I also adjusted the hood rollers on both sides. Now the hood is easy to open and close by myself. *Plus it tilts farther forward making it easier to access the engine compartment.

Paul

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
stengun, the height of the threaded heim joints is determined by the need to make the bottom-sides of the hood parallel with the top of the pontoons beneath them.

If you find that the heims have to go back up, you can achieve the same tilt of the hood by removing some of the bottom of the hood.

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Howdy DARKPT,

stengun, the height of the threaded heim joints is determined by the need to make the bottom-sides of the hood parallel with the top of the pontoons beneath them.

If you find that the heims have to go back up, you can achieve the same tilt of the hood by removing some of the bottom of the hood.

Gee, I never thought about adjusting the heims to make the hood and the pontoons line up.

I did think about using my Dremel to make a small slot in the underside of the nose so the hood would tilt farther forward. I guess I will make a small slot and see how it works.

Paul

1 - 20 of 197 Posts