Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Nicely done.

· Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Nice... I like the extra material; ought to give you good grip and cushion from the edges of the aluminum spokes.

· Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Thanks Doug for posting the picture. I still need to figure it out.
I first saw this on a car at Road America and when I asked the owner how he did it, he just said... "you'll have to figure that out for yourself." When we were walking away, my wife (wisely, I might add) said "that means he didn't do it."

I used some regular string to practice until I had the wrap just the way I wanted it, with a way to tie it off at the back and tuck the excess material so that it was hidden. Didn't take too many tries, though, and something a little more creative and less mechanical for the time when you want to tackle something a little lighter.

Here's mine... I used waxed cotton cord from a hobby store.

· Registered
428 Posts
You figure it out? What a jerk...

It's not hard to do it like wrapping the guides on a fishing rod.

Use the wraps to hold down the starting end and then use dental floss to pull the tag end under the wraps at the finishing end. Keeping the ends on the back side of the wheel helps hide them.

I also used to make leather wrapped knife handles this way. I soaked the leather in water and put it on snug, it shrinks as it dries and ends up way tighter than you can wrap it by hand.

Jeff

· Registered
104 Posts
Jeff's right - easy to do. Don't even need the dental floss. Just do the last side over a loop of the string (as Jeff said, on the back side); on the last turn, put the end of the string through the loop and pull on the tag end , which draws the end of the string down under the wraps (about 1/2 way does the trick if the winds are tight). Trim the ends, and you're done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.