Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After everything has been set up, my wheel is about 3/4" from the door. My fat knuckles won't go between. Normal? Does anyone run a 12" or 13" wheel? Source?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Rad22, I have the 14" wood wheel and at its closest point to the door there is 1.75" clearance. Measuring straight out it is 2". Are your doors finished yet? I removed quite a lot of material off the door. Can you angle the wheel slightly over to the right for a little extra room? If you go power steering a smaller wheel would work fine. I just don't think any smaller with manual steering would be good unless you got some real burley forearms.

·
2,860 Posts
My Mark III has the 15" wood wheel...no problem. The new ones ar 14". Might give one a try. IMO, 12" or 13" would be too small. Particularly W/O Power steering.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Mk III with 15 inch wheel. Approx 1 1/2"(with rolled edges). Maybe you could loosen the upper mounting bolts and slide the steering shaft towards the center of the car?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I was at 1-1/4" with a 15" wheel. Mark III, and I had moved the lower bearing in toward the engine to make the column run parallel with the frame which actually brought the wheel closer to the door. I've since switched to a 14" so now I've got 1-3/4". The 1-1/4" bothered me. Kept hitting my knuckles..

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Just measured 2" with the FFR wood wheel finishline dash .The top bearing is adjustable isn't it ? If not possibly elongate the holes.Check for binding whatever you do, before you lock everything up tite. Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.