Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions in one here: Would anyone like to opine with regard to preference of 15" vs. 14" diameter steering wheels... Wood vs. Leather? And...how the various gauge layouts look with either? I'm considering going with Autometer Ultra-lite gauges in the standard layout provided by FFR and a 14" diameter Leather wrapped steering wheel and I'm wondering how it will look. Anyone have pictures of this combination? Also, I want to know if I can first install the donor car gauges in the stock format laid out by FFR and later upgrade to the nicer gauges without having to put in a new dash plate, as those gauges are a bit pricey. AND I'm kind of a freak about wanting to have an unobstructed view of my gauges through the steering wheel. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your thoughts.
John

·
Senior Charter Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Larry, as usual, a wealth of information. Looks like an opportunity to see and sit in various cars would be most beneficial. I'm leaning towards the modern look, but the layout is still very much a mystery to me.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
John:
The Standard Dash layout from FFR has been pre-cut with 4" holes for the Speedo and Tac, all the rest are 2". The botton picture looks like the pre-cut dash and the top looks like an un-cut dash that the builder positioned and cut the holes to where he wanted the guages to be. FFR3822 has the pre-cut dash and looks like the second picture. See attached link to Factory Five Options list.
http://parts.factoryfive.com/roadster/interior/interior.html
Hope that this helps.

Allan

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Also - one consideration is that big folks (tall or portly) really like the 14" wheel.

·
Senior Charter Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great links guys - Thanks. I gather from what I looked at that the Autometer Ultra-lites are 3-3/8" Tach/Speedo and 2" so I'm betting that the 4" pre-cut holes in the stock FFR dash will not work and is why they ship a blank panel with them. It also appears that the "competition layout" is quite popular as well as many custom variations on that theme. Hmmm... guess I can get the blank dash and make up my own mind as I put it together. After all, the build is a big part of the experience... right? :cool:
By the way... are the red covered switches for the fire extinguisher? and where are people getting shift lights and such?
John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
I have the precut dash and the smaller Autometer Ultralites. I don't remember the exact size and can't measure now because I'm at work but they fit fine. I don't think the precuts are quite 4 inches. Remember the precut dash has all the screw holes for the donor gauges but everyone says they don't show. I just glued my dash cover on last night so I can't give you a picture yet.

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
Having just attended Motts Build School (which was fantastic BTW!!!!) I got a chance to see several setups. From that I decided that I'm going with the stock wheel. I'm planning to upgrade to a different (leather wrapped) setup on quick releases giving me the option to pick based on the type of driving planned.

Marc

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
no final pictures online yet, but I have the competition layout with the 15" wood wheel. I have the Autometer Ultra Lites. I can see the guages fine.

A friend has the same dash with Autometer Classics and a 14" leather wheel. His Tach is a bit obstructed...he had to rotate it so he could see redline.

I would think it depends on what look you want. I don't have a good picture of the final dash covered & installed. Email me if you want some better pictures and I can send some to you tonight.

·
Senior Charter Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dan. I think I saw your layout on blank aluminum... wasn't it 4 or 5 times?
Isn't yours with the larger diameter gauges? Thought it looked good, and made me consider the competition layout much more seriously.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the posts guys. Very helpful. Ordered my Autometer Ultralites today, think I'm gonna get my 14" leather wheel tomorrow. ;)
Really leaning toward the "competition layout."
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts