Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a quick way of pulling the steering wheel without a puller?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I tried. I even had my neighbor (big strong 20yr old) come over to try to pull it off. It didn't budge.

I wound up borrowing a puller.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys. Maybe ill just drink 10 cups of coffee, strap my hands to the wheel and go nuts till it comes off.

Dan, your donor was a tilt wheel right? If so, did you only have to replace the upper shaft, or both. If im wrong about your donor... forgive me.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Ok thanks guys. Maybe ill just drink 10 cups of coffee, strap my hands to the wheel and go nuts till it comes off.
Waves hand over crystal ball, "I see a hernia in your future." :D

FFR supplies the lower shaft with the kit. You just need the upper.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I didn't bother with the donor steering stuff. I got everything needed for steering from Whitby's.

Upper & Lower Shaft (no welding needed)
Universal Joint
18:1 Manual Steering Rack.

Very happy with the setup and they took my donor rack for the core charge.

·
Registered
165 Posts
(SOMETIMES) you can grip the wheel on both sides and pull, while another hits the center shaft with a hammer and brass. This does not alway work and you end up working you'r a#$ off. But the puller is fool proof, and yes the harmonic balancer puller works as well.

FFR#4141

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
As I recall, I put the shaft of the wheel through an open vise - sitting the back of the wheel on the vise jaws. Unscrewed the bolt just a bit and tapped it. Unscrewed a little more and tapped a couple more times you need to be careful not to round the nut but it worked for me...
If you loosen it a lot the thread is sloppy and you can mess up the threads on the bolt or in the shaft.

Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts