Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the specs on a replacement steering wheel bolt?

I have what I thought was the bolt, labeled and bagged, but for some reason it feels like it cross threads immediately. Is it supposed to do this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
DId you try chasing the threads with a tap. You may have dirt in the threads. Take the bolt you have and match it with a tap. Not a bottoming tap though. Use a tap thats tapered "starter tap" and try running it down the threads. It should go in O.K.Use some cutting fluid to help flush out any dirt that may be in the threads.

Just an Idea.
Kirk

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I "think" it's an interference fit. So that it wont come loose. Pretty sure the bolt you have is correct.
RR

[ October 15, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: RacingRob ]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Advil
The steering wheel bolt is "metric". I can't find my metric thread gauge to give you the specifics but if I had to guess, I'd say it's a 10mmX1.5mm.
D-

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
It is absolutely not an interference fit. Mine runs in and out with finger pressure. When I tighten it for good, it'll get locktite and safety wire. I'll gauge the thread for you in the morning.

Happy motoring

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks oldguy, I'd appreciate it.

Good idea on the safety wire. Might do that too.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Okay, I have my foot in my mouth here...my bolt is 3/8-16, BUT I have a Breeze shaft kit....not a donor shaft, so nothing I have to say on this topic is relevant.

Happy motoring

·
Registered
283 Posts
My donor shaft requires a 3/8-16 as well. Goes in and out with finger pressure.

Karl

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Originally posted by Aaron SIlidker:
Even without a bolt the steering wheel will not come off, the hub is pressed onto the shaft.
If you don't put the bolt in the wheel or don't tighten it per spec it will come loose. The wheel is soft aluminum the shaft is steel. After a few weeks driving you will notice a "clicking" sound in the steering. That is the wheel getting a little sloppy. After a few more weeks it will feel downright loose. Not knowing what this strange sound and feel is you will overthink the problem and require additional support and eventually stop by RacingRobs house for a beer and ask him his valued :rolleyes: opinion.

Having him say "Hey man, your damn wheel bolt is loose, thats all" really blows. It just blows.

[ October 16, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: dpmac ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'll try that size.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3/8-16 also cross threads after a few turns, but it's close. I think it's possibly a tiny bit small. Barring any more ideas I'm going to have to buy several more possibilities tomorrow and try them. It's definately seeming metric now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts