Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does yours actually slide/move? My upper is not painted, no bellville washers between the two, and I added some anti-seize, no collars. It moves freely except through the upper bearing when mounted. I can't move it either direction when mounted. Should I be able to?

The only play in the steering when turning is at this joint, it ain't much but its there. Should I add the washers or is there a better / other solution to get rid of play between these shafts while keeping it collapsable? This is on a MKII. Eric

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
The washers take the play out, while still allowing it to collapse in the unfortunate case of a collision.

Do not install the washers until you are in final assembly with the dash, etc.

Don't forget to secure the upper and lower shaft set screws as well...

HTH...
Mark

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Another place to check for slop is the bolt in the D tube. Hard to get tight enough to collapse the outer tube to the inner D tube. A good tip on here that helped. Use a sacraficial bolt,same size and tighten it with an impact wrench till totally collapsing the tube. Once done repalce with ffr supplyed bolt and nylock nut. Mine has no play.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
I've also seen people use a washer/shim between the two tubes at the connection Hind Sight mentions. I didn't think of that bolt since my steering shaft is custom from rack to column lower shaft and does not use that pinch bolt setup. Good thought HS!

Mark

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking about the connection from the lower column shaft to the rag joint or u-joints? If so, no movement there(u-joints) I had to lightly grind and beat/force just to get those together. Only slop is at the sliding joint in the footbox. I'll try the washers if nothing else comes up but I'm won't put those in until early Spring after its painted. Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.