Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Builders Lackey
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to tackle the attaching the steering shaft and have a couple of questions about how it goes together:

1. The donor shaft has the end where the steering wheel goes (I cut off the metal collar). The other end is fitted into a tube like shaft that is round in the middle and tapered at one end to fit the donor rag joint/universal shaft. Do I remove this and fit the FFR supplied one on?

2. If I do remove it, it seems like is in there pretty solid, whats the best way to get it off?

3. I know I drill a hole in the FFR one and put a bolt, do I do the same at the other end?

Sorry for the novice questions, but I just want to make sure, especially when the manual states "...you will be trusting this assembly with your life..." ;)

Thanks,

-Shawn

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Shawn
I think you are asking this.. the upper shaft the steering wheel attaches to is the donnor part and the center shaft is replaced with the kit part. The system is designed to let the upper shaft move in a crash so the steering shaft does not go through the driver in a crash and there are 2 small clips inside to make it a tight fit, you will need them. I took a length of rod, put it inside the tube and banged it on the ground, quick and easy way to get them appart.
hope this makes sense
David W

1 - 2 of 2 Posts