Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the steering shaft.
When I inserted the upper steering shaft into the 1" DD tube with the Bellville washers I was able to push it all the way in. Now the shaft is too short. (Not cold enough in VT yet :D ).
Steering wheel will be right on dash now (see pics)

I presume I need to pull it back out but what keeps it from pushing back in over time?? Those little set screws want keep it in place, will they?

Appreciate any feedback

·
8,356 Posts
Snake, do you have the pillow block ring collars installed in the correct locations? They are intended to keep the shaft from moving in/out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
SD,
You should NOT put in the belleville washers until you make the final adjustment on shaft position.
cheers,
Ed

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Listen to Ed. Ours are not in yet. When we get the seats in we'l finalize steering wheel location, install the bellville washers, and tighten the set screw on the bearing collar.

You'll have to take the complete shaft assembly out of the car, chuck the solid upper shaft in a vice and use a block of wood or steel drift tap the D-shaft off of it. Be mindful you don't lose the belleville washers as you expose the recessed grooves for them...

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Mine actually slides in and out rather easily. The bellville washers help keep the steering tight, but repositioning it and removing it to put the dash in is pretty easy. The set screws on the top pillow block collar seem to do the trick to hold the steering wheel in place. They are suppose to give in a crash to keep you from eating the wheel and allow the telescope to work correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Like Ed, I'll install the belville washers after everything else is in and I'm ready to do the final fitting/adjustments. I taped the ziplock baggy containing the belville washers to the 1" DD tube so I wouldn't lose them (or forget to put them in).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts