Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Finally starting!!!
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm building my mk1 now and I've got a 15:1 manual rack, sn95 spindles/brakes and donor lca's. I want to build it for stability and high speed driving, not worried about parking lot or autox, etc.

I had bought the breeze high ackerman offset bushings and was told by Mark to relocate the rack just rear of the mounting ears of the frame, does anyone have pictures of this?

Then after reading and talking with people, most said that was not what I should do because it will speed up steering,and only make it more twitch, while I want to slow the rack down.

So I found Gordon Levy's bumpsteer kit, that mounts the rack forward and down, level with the LCA's, but have yet to see any pictures or hear from people with this setup.

And then I read about the SAI mod and just bumpsteer kit in general and I'm lost, honestly too much info for someone who doesn't know enough.

Basically I need tie rod ends, but not sure which ones I need for the rack/sn95 hubs, and I need to figure out where to mount the rack is best for me.

Thanks guys

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
I have a similar setup as you in my Mk II, but I don't have the car running yet so my advice is limited, but there are a bunch of other guys who will chime in here.

From what I have been able to learn from this forum
the SAI mod was originally intended for auto-x guys, but it seems to be beneficial for stability, and steering effort on the street (this is important especially for your 15:1 manual rack). Levys kit is intended for higher speed stability (his kit slows the steering down to make it more stable) and reduces bump steer.

I have seen some people suggest that Levys kit and the SAI mod should complement each other, if that is true then that would be the ultimate steering setup (I am not going to get into the fact that these cars need a longer steering rack, or get into the manual vs. power steering debate).

All of this means that if you get both kits then you will be spending between $700 and $1400 (depending on which kit you get from Levy). I know that its tempting to order these extra parts now because its easier to install them on a car that is still being built rather than a finished one, but I would suggest building the car and see how you like the steering, then go from there. This way you are not spending money on parts that you may not really need and you will get to see what changes the parts make if you do order them.

Like I said others will be able to give you better advice.

Trevor

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
15:1 manual will be twitchy no matter what you do...a 20:1 power w/ the extra caster is what you are wanting

1 - 3 of 3 Posts