Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Building
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have spent a good deal of time searching power steering rack information but I have not had any luck finding specific information and when I stopped by the local advanced to see what they sold for a 93 Mustang I left with more questions. Help is appreciated.

I have decided I am going with power steering (figure I'll put in appropriate caster and adj. valve to tune to the feel I prefer, thinking back to my old 66 mustang and parking lots and three point turns,,, no thanks)and I'm fine with the 15:1 ratio but there is no mention of the ratio at advanced plus they have four different options 1)w/o perf susp. 1 piece mtg bushing ford design 2) w/o perf susp. 2 piece mtg bushing ford design 3) w/o perf susp. 1 piece mtg bushing TRW design 4)WITH perf susp.

Earlier I saw several mentions of a matrix but had no luck finding one in the archives.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
NC Dave,

NAPA's # 22-207 is the Ford design and the most common application for the 87-93 power steering unit. It comes with rack mount bushings in the box, but I opted for Breeze's solid mounts. Everything bolted right up.

·
2,860 Posts
I also replaced the stock bushing with Breeze solid aluminum bushings, non-offset. I have the stock (NEW) power steering rack. At this time I do not use power steering, however.

Offset bushings allow you to move the rack higher/lower to allow for bumpsteer adjustments/allowance. FFR says Mark III; does not need bumpsteer kit. I just looked at a new Mark III...(build in progress) and it had offset aluminum bushings shipped in the kit. :confused:

I have the Forte bumpsteer kit...will install in the spring.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
If you're looking for a 15:1, 18:1 new rack or even P/S racks I sell any of them for just $199.00. I also make bumpsteer kits & rack bushings in offset or centered.
Mike Forte

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Dave used the rack from a 90 mustang but use one piece poly bushings. Trim the spring to get the feel you want. Don't worry about trimming the spring too far as adding sprak plug indexing easher can bring it back to the feel you want. When I did my front end alignment I used 5* caster. 1/2* negative camber. 1/16" toe in. Car tracks straight,not twitchy, and steering wants to return to center form a turn.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
20:1 rack, Breeze bushings, Mustang P/S pump with the spring cut down for more pressure, it's great! With a good alignment, to twitchiness, some power assist, great feel on the track & highway, still plenty quick turning radius. With the slow rack, I can work the wheel, rather than have the car work me.

·
Building
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to share some experience, the one piece bushing option racks do not work. There is a steel insert that is effectively takes the place of the FFR suplied spacers but it is the wrong inside diameter for the supplied bolts.

Bought a pair of two piece rubber bushings and everything worked fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts