Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting started gathering parts for my build.I am not using a donor car.Trying to decide on the best sterring setup for my mrkIII that will be driven 50% on the street and 50% on the road courses.Any info would be great.Only parts I have to date is the donor IRS....

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Go for the 15:1 R&P. You'll love it. I have it and wouldn't change it.

2FAST

·
Registered
917 Posts
I just got mine too, and I'm surprised how easy it actually is to turn, much easier than I thought.

·
8,350 Posts
Make that 3!

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What else would I need to buy?Were is the best sourse to buy from?Is there one brand that is better?Would the 18-1 make it easier to turn? thanks, pete

·
Registered
773 Posts
I went with 15/1 which should "theoretically" be better for the track. However, I've got 2 steering wheels. A thickly padded 14" for the track, and a 15" Motolita wooden job (that I found on the parts forum) for the street. Both with Q. releases, *but the car won't be on the road for about another 3 - 4 weeks so will have to wait to see if my clever plan really works.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Hey guys,

My kit is just being packed by FFR and I've decided to go with a Flaming River 15:1 rack (from an outside source). Should I be telling FFR this ? ie are there any different pieces I will need/get from them as opposed to what they normally send ? I am using a 99 & up donor (first DOHC in Canada ?).

-SB

·
Registered
773 Posts
I mixed and matched steering parts and ended up with a couple of problems. Flaming R. rack, Fortes bumpsteer kit, and what mistakenly turned out to be later than SN95 spindles. The tie rod tubes that come with the bumpsteer kit are shipped for pin-drive length (3 3/4")and are about 1 inch too short if the spindles are later than the SN95's. I had to search around to find tubes that were longer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what I have read here in this forum(I have read way too much
) If you have a 15" steering wheel you should get a 18:1 steering rack, And for the 17" steering wheel you should go 15:1 for street driving..For racing go with a 15:1. Most are using the Flaming River steering rack.
HTH
Rob.

Brian..Yes you need to contact FFR...

·
Registered
130 Posts
What do you have to tell FFR? When I placed my order I told them I was going Non-Donor. Was that good enough or will I need to send stuff back when I get to the steering?

·
12,637 Posts
Originally posted by Ophitoxaemia:
from my experience with 15:1 and power steering cars, id pick power steering every day.

james
THe 15/1 power rack and the 15/1 FR rack are not the same ratio... Have no idea why they call them the same.

The power rack is 2.25 turns lock to lock. the FR 15/1 is 3.25 turns lock to lock. The FR 18/1 is about 4 turns lock to lock. THere is a tread in the handy links detailing ALL the racks available.

If I had my car to build over again, id go with power steering and 2.25 turns LTL. May up grade in the future. Presently, I have a 4 turn LTL manual ford unit and I hate it. Its like piloting a ship.

I think most of the autocrossers use the quickest power rack with power steering.

earl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts