Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one separate the Mustang "upper" and "lower" shafts so the new FFR lower shaft can replace and extend the length?
--LNJ

·
Senior Charter Member
458 Posts
seriously... you have to REALLY yank on it in a jarring motion and it will, trust me, eventually come free

·
Charter Member
682 Posts
I had a piece of 3/8 threaded rod about 2 foot long just slid it in the open end and pecked at it with a hammer. Just make sure you hold onto the end the rod slides into or you will fight against yourself. Also make sure you have a soft surface under the part you will keep or you might damage the end that goes into the steering wheel hub.

Scott

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,852 Posts
Larry
Hold the Mustang lower shaft that you don't need in a vise. Use vice grips or similar with something to protect the shaft on the upper. If you have the steering wheel from the Mustang that works great also. You have to pull hard. You don't want to damage either end of the upper shaft. The upper end fits your steering wheel and the lower end goes through the bearing
TEC

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Forum Brothers:

5 whacks and it was out!!

Put a 9/16 box wrench in the slot and used a persuader on it while holding the good shaft with my real strong (wish) gloved other hand.

How far does the new one go in? Or do we mount the bearings first? (Maybe I should read the manual.)

--LNJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.