Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just replaced my steering rack with a rebuilt one due to stripped PS hose threads. I have the donor rag joint. With my previous rack, no binding at all. Now I can notice the rag joint bolt is touching the joint and I can feel a slight bind when I am turning on the left side.

I simply don't get it...

Anyone experienced binding?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
I had it with the donor rag joint and a manual rack. I have offset bushings to lower my rack and I thought maybe that was what caused it. I ended up swapping out for the eliminator that Breeze sells. I like it much better and don't have any problems with it being to sensitive. I was told by some that you feel every pebble in the road without the rag but I don't notice that at all.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,740 Posts
your new rack may have a slightly longer shaft.that puts the whole steering column in a pressure situation and then the rag joint binds.i ran into this when i installed offset buchings which moved the rack upward.Ended up redrilling the holes for the rack mount right above the j-pipe to move it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I noticed my rag joint binding on my maiden voyage. Replaced it with a Breeze U-joint unit immediately. Peace of mind...money well spent.

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.